Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you read my last post you know i currently have a male and female rat. i separated them a few days ago and am unsure if the girl is pregnant.
I emailed my vet and am pretty confused, she said at 6 weeks old a rat can't get pregnant? and thats not what I've heard people on the forum say? should I still be worried that she is?
Also she said a female rat can't be spayed until she is 3 months old. I can't wait that long to put them back together :( They are SO freaked out being alone. I emailed her about Neutering instead and if it can be done quicker. She hasn't answered me yet though, does anyone know? But I've heard that you have to still keep them separate for 3 weeks?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm scared for my babies! Thank you to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The vet I go to will neuter males as young as 8 weeks old. It would depend on the vet though. The balls on males usually drop around five weeks, and some vets will neuter at five weeks.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Sadly alot of vets are not all that versed in rats. So they may not know a ton. I have heard some crazy stuff that vets have shared regarding rats!!

rats can 100% get pregnant at 6 weeks old. But it is rare. Most females will not really be able to until 7-8 weeks or so. But it is still very possible. Infact I had a girl just recently get pregnant at 6 weeks. And I bred her myself so I knew exactly how old she was. It is not good in any way for a rat to get pregnant that young!

Your vet should be able to tell u if she is and can give u something called galastop to end the pregnancy if she is.

I have never spayed or neutered a rat before so I am unsure on what ages they can be done. I do know that you can neuter boys at a very young age. You will need to keep the boy separated from the female for a while after he is fixed, 3 weeks seems about right.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both!
Im afraid my vet is an exotics vet at a very well known exotics hospital! Im a bit afraid that she said that now. I have worked with her before and do trust her though. my mom (being a tech) is friends with the owner of the practice (who Id trust fully with any of my pets) so maybe well ask her opinion to. regardless I'm trying to get them both seen ASAP. Just hope the neuter can be done soon!
also does anyone have an opinion on when its safe to spay a rat?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts