Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've read about people experience with neutering their males, and I tried to prepare myself not to worry but it didn't work too well.

First our vet is the ONLY vet in the area to have studied exotic animals, and he is very nice and seems to care a lot; however, he doesn't give out antibiotics unless "there is a problem," and I was a bit concerned about a small amount of clear "puss" coming from Ostrich's wound. I called as soon as I noticed but I only got to talk to a vet tech who told me "it should be fine but call tomorrow if nothing changes!" So what does that mean? The "puss" will just magically go away? I asked the vet tech again about antibiotics who again told me they "don't just hand them out." Sigh..........I'm just a bit worried. I know they are bound to be tired but Ostrich the older of the two seems less affected, and Avacado seems super tired :? I guess I kind of expected the wounds to look a little less gross. It looks red and irritated. sigh............. i'm just worried that's all, and I didn't really like the vet tech I talked to....she seemed like kind of a snot. I feel like she could have been a little more convincing that she actually cared.

So anyway

Is there anything else I can do since my vet won't give me antibiotics?
and clear puss, is that ok? I know to be on the lookout for green or discolored discharge but I haven't seen much about clear......... unless it's urine? I dunno let me know about your experiences!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Honestly, I think I would have asked to speak with someone else. Pus after a surgery IS a bit of a concern, and it sounds like maybe she doesn't know what the heck she's talking about. I'd be concerned too, if I were you.

How many days post-op is it? I had a girl e-spayed (she was pregnant) and by day 2, she was looking pretty dang good. If she'd been red/irritated with pus or drainage, I'd be worried. Some swelling and redness is normal, but I'm not sure this sounds like it.

Call again and if you get the same response, ask to speak to someone else. I'd also suggest complaining about the manor of the vet tech, to the vet if possible. You had an animal in for surgery, of course you're worried about complications... Some vet tech!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I forgot to add - Keep it clean as possible, and *maybe* use a saline solution... Beyond that, I'd be afraid to tell you what else you might want to do. Putting anything on it might impede healing.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:( I got a recording :( I don't open again until 8 tomorrow!!!

sigh UHH AND I CAN'T EVEN COMPLAIN ABOUT HER! I didn't think to ask her name! It's not like she was rude she just seemed......... very casual........ am I overreacting?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the caps was out of frustration for not knowing who I was talking to.....not to be misunderstood with yelling at you :(

i'm a bit stressed :(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd suggest writing down everything so you can call in tomorrow with as many details as possible.

And maybe try calling the e-vet for an opinion as to his status?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are my e-vet, and they told me to call back tomorrow but there is good news!

I think it may have been urine because nothing is leaking out. I took a better look in a bright light. It still looks gross, so I'm just going to bring them in tomorrow, so they can tell me if it looks normal!

Their behavior is fine other than being a bit tired. They took the food I offered and ate it with gusto as usual, and they are getting up to walk around and explore. I have pictures to show the vet to compare. How it looked today vs. how it looks tomorrow.

I think i'm just over worried but i'll feel better after I get a visual Ok tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I feel a bit sheepish :oops:

They boys are fine. Just a case of an over worried rattie mom but the girl I spoke to was very nice. She was very patient and answered all my questions TWICE. They are healing wonderfully and they have all thier pep back. They said bring them back if they have any signs of infection, and they would start them on meds right away!

I'll know what to expect if I have a rat neutered again. It's COMPLETELY different reading about it and SEEING it!

Well at least I'm surrounded by people who can understand a little panic due to the love of ratties :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts