Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aoife is the only un-fixed rat in our group, and she's been the only one to ever show the signs of being in heat (even before the other girls were spayed). The boys of the group have been neutered for well over a year, they were neutered when they were 4 months old. I just heard a ruckus in the cage that didn't sound like a fight or arguing so I went to check, and Aoife was doing the hoppy wiggly eared arched back mating dance, and her brother was chasing after her and mounting and humping her.

Is this anything at all to be concerened about? She definitely can't get pregnant, but it just seems odd unless she was sending off some really strong lady smells that interested him.

I know incest isn't anything that concerns animals usually, but it's still kind of creepy. Especially since just little while earlier tonight I heard another small ruckus in a box and it was he and his mother, but I'm not sure if they were arguing, playing, or doing what Aoife was doing. I've never seen Bijou do the heat dance, but I dunno, just kinda creeps me out even though I know it's nothing of concern to animals, haha.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah he's just responding to her signals or pheromones, It's normal. My girls are sisters and they'll mount each other when the other one is in heat, I have two boys that are neutered and they'll respond to them as well, It's weird.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had two sisters when I was younger and they would mount each other all the time the same way as yours. But I've never seen one of my boys do this before, and was wondering if they maybe actually are mating (as in actual intercourse) and would that somehow be dangerous??

I dunno, maybe I'm just a little shocked. Realistically I don't think it's anything to worry about haha.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The boys do trigger something when they mount them, that's different than the girls I think. my girl Sansa was always obsessed with the boys in the other cage and trying to get out of the cage until we got the boys fixed and put them in there. After intros were done and the boys were put in the cage and doing the whole alpha dance, she got mounted by one of the boys and did the arching thing, and it triggered her heat cycle. So she started hopping around, ears wiggling so fast they literally looked like they were vibrating (also looked almost as if she could have taken flight, lol). But she did that a bit, got mounted a few more times, and ever since then we haven't seen her go in to heat like that. They'll hop around maybe but she obviously had to get something out of her system and her sister could not help her with that. So yeah, from that experience I would say I'm pretty sure they are actually doing something and not just mounting, but I can't see how it could hurt anyone if no babies come of it *shrug* rats will be rats lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's totally weird I agree when my girls do it I'm like "noooo ewww, your sisters" even though it's totally innocent/natural I don't wanna see pet-incest XP lol

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha I know the feeling. I know the gross out factor is totally something we make up and tell ourselves it's gross, but rats don't think the same way at all and have no problem with it if thats the only rat around. Aoife will occasionlly get all feisty and do the hop hop ear vibrating dance when another rat things she's trying to play. It's pretty funny, but this is the first time I've ever seen her entice a cage mate enough to actually mount her. Usually the others will just popcorn and pounce, but when she just stands there and vibrates instead of playing back, they lose interest quickly and walk away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts