Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my females, Luna, passed away a couple days ago so Orbit is now alone. She seems to be handling being alone very well! She loves spending time with us outside of the cage, which she does for several hours a day now that she is alone.

We are considering adopting another rat to keep her company, and I saw a bunch of neutered males available and was wondering if/how that would work.

(Orbit is very active, but she also had some jealousy and bullying issues when we had to spend time with her sick friend instead of her. She is happier now that she is the center of attention. )

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Some rats actually do principally bond with humans. Other rats bond with other rats... So yes, I'm sure she is happier getting lots of your attention. While this kind of a rat can be a happy only rat, you would need to spend almost all of her waking time with her and that's a tall order for a human family with a social schedule.

About the only thing you can't bring her is a rat pup under about 10 weeks old. Girl rats attack pups of other girls. But a neutered male of another female should work. Obviously personalities have a lot to do with how well the intros will go and how well they will get on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mix colonies work wonderfully. I have had such good friends corrientes with having spayed and/or neutered boys and girls live together. My girls seem to prefer the boys company and the boys love cuddling with everyone. Just realize in the future if you have a neutered male and decided to get another rat would be best to get a female or another neutered male.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts