Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, it's been a while since I've posted here... I have a few questions about neutering.

When I asked my vet about it, she said they did it much like the neutering of a cat. From what I understand, neutering a cat does not involve actual castration, at least here where I live (Canada), they just make a much smaller incision and snip the tubes, no stitches required, for cats anyway.

Are they ALWAYS castrated, or can it be done the same way as a cat, just by making a smaller incision and snipping the tubes? I'm going to ask the vet when I take Lugo next Wednesday, I didn't get a chance to ask her over the phone.

Also wondering if people could share some tips on what I should expect from him... I plan on bringing a cooler with a hot water bottle and a blanket in it, so he can have a warm blanket to rest in after he comes out of surgery..

Should he be kept in his own cage for a while or no? I'd like to keep him in with his brothers so stress levels stay down but I don't want his wound being bothered.
I'm getting him neutered because he has displayed aggression towards his own cagemates, nothing drastic but I don't like it and think this would help him enjoy life a lot more, he can't wrestle because he's always on edge and thinks they're attacking him. He's very moody, and makes me nervous, has puffed up when I went to pick him up a few times.

Will getting him neutered make one of his brothers be more aggressive? Neither of his brothers have an aggressive personality towards other rats, nothing like he has. To me it seems like his abrasive personality makes the other 2 nervous, and by mellowing him out the other 2 will be able to relax more.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Dawson was mellow the first day post-op, but he perked up real fast. I had to keep him in a hospital cage for 10 days (since he was neutered so that he could live with my female rats). I believe the general rule is to isolate for the first 24 hours - longer if you think his cage mates will bother his incision site - in a hospital cage with no levels so that he doesn't jump or climb and open his stitches. Generally, rats heal pretty fast, just keep an eye out for abscesses (Dawson had one; it was my first abscess and I will admit it made me squirm and gag a little).

Warm blanket is a great idea! Keeping him warm in general is great for recovery (so long as he can move away from the heat if he gets too hot).

p.s. YOUR AVATAR. Who is that cute little munchkin??!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dawson was mellow the first day post-op, but he perked up real fast. I had to keep him in a hospital cage for 10 days (since he was neutered so that he could live with my female rats). I believe the general rule is to isolate for the first 24 hours - longer if you think his cage mates will bother his incision site - in a hospital cage with no levels so that he doesn't jump or climb and open his stitches. Generally, rats heal pretty fast, just keep an eye out for abscesses (Dawson had one; it was my first abscess and I will admit it made me squirm and gag a little).

Warm blanket is a great idea! Keeping him warm in general is great for recovery (so long as he can move away from the heat if he gets too hot).

p.s. YOUR AVATAR. Who is that cute little munchkin??!
Thank you for the input! :)

That is Oxnard! he's a huge cutie!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The vet that I'm taking my boys to next week says that they use surgical glue to close the incision; is this the typical method?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think they use both biodegradable/dissolvable sutures (so that you dont have to go back to take the stitches out) as well as surgical glue. I know they used glue for both my neutered male and spayed female, and I'm pretty sure the vet also used stitches (I know she did for Algae's spay and tumor removal.. but can't remember if she did for Dawson, too). Whether or not your vet stitches the incision before applying the glue might depend on the size of the incision.. Are you getting your boys neutered, kksrats?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The three boys I will be getting (next weekend, EEEE!!!) will be getting neutered, as I'd like to home everyone, boys and girls, together. Has it ever happened that a neuter didn't "take"? It happened to a coworkers cat, but I wasn't sure if it was a species thing or what.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Regarding neutering, yes rats are castrated when neutered based on everything I've read as well as my personal experience in having my two boys neutered last year.

Here's a link to documentation of an actual neuter shown on ratguide.com:
http://ratguide.com/health/figures/neuter_figure_1.php

***Beware of clicking on the link above to the neuter info--there are pictures involved, and while it didn't bother me, it may bother some who don't like seeing surgical pictures.

Regarding postop care, I would try a monitored session of putting all of them together and watching to see if the other rats attempt to groom the surgical site. If they do, I would definitely keep them separated for a while just to be safe. If separated, make sure to keep him warm as he won't have his buddies to cuddle up to. Also keep an eye out for abscesses, which can occur after neuters. I was lucky with my guys' recoveries as there were no complications. Oh & my vet does inter sutures that are self-dissolving over time.

I can't answer your behavioral questions of what might take place after the neuter. All rats are different and any of the scenarios you mentioned could happen! I'd just watch them and make future decisions (such as neutering another rat) based on their interactions with each other. Keep in mind that male rats will not be completely sterile for about 3 weeks post surgery. My guys seemed to calm down after about 4-6 weeks post surgery, so be sure to give ample time after surgery before making decisions based on their behaviors :)

Hope this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts