Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
None of my males are neutered I had one male neutered but it didn't change his aggressive behavior at all. I have 8 males btw

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
depends on the vet you go to really LoL I got it done' really cheap only $50 for it but I have seen people pay as much as $200

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you're getting two males and won't have any females about I'd leave them intact unless aggression issues arise.

Personally. :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Well, depending on the cost in your area, Sneakers, you can weight it against the benefits for neutering:

-Longer life
-No buck grease(softer fur and not as smelly)
-less hormonal aggression(for older rats, it tends not to change this as over time it becomes a habit)
-lowered chance for testicular cancer and other testosterone related health problems

Gah, I know there is more but I can never think of it all at once.

I had to get Jake neutered because I was moving him in with the girls. Since then his fur stays clean and is softer, and he cuddles more. It was well worth the $80 I had spent for it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thank you:)I dont think i will be getting him neuterd since i will be spending alot of money on food,toys ex.And i still dont have a big enough cage for the both of them lol...but thanks so much...i didnt realize there was a bonus to getting a rat neuterd:)
ttyl

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
as we're on the topic of neutering and because it seems sneakers88 is done with it i'm going to hijack this thread.

as you may know i have been fostering an un-neutered 1.5 year old boy for a little while now. well he's really winning my heart and where he is older and male and of a "plain" variety i'm i little dubious of his adoption chances and was considering adopting him myself. but if i adopt him i have to have him neutered. i do have allerigies to buck greese and so far it hasn't been so bad with only the one male but i do get headaches from him if i have him out with me for any real length of time and i have a bunch of females that i want him to live with and not get them pregnant. but he is older and i was wondering what the risks of that would be. he seems in good health but i noticed when spider and violet had their tumor removals done it took spider (25 months at the time) longer to get over it then it did violet (a little under a year, approx 11months). is a tumor removal any harder on a rat then a neuter or vice versa?

i'd prefer him to be in the big cage with the girls but its not impossible to house him in a decent cage with my neutered male bribery. the headaches are an issue but they aren't disabling, just painful... if neutering would do more harm then good i would keep him in his current arrangements but it would be really nice to not get the headaches and have him loved and doted on by all the girls too.

does anyone have any experience with neutering a older male? are there any thing i should be more concerned about or demand from the vet because he's older? will he be in more pain then a younger rat with the same surgery done? thanks for you help.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Twitch... I had Tsume neutered at just over 1.5 years, and Remy done at 1 year. They were their old selves the afternoon of the neuter ;). Stewie's a big strapping healthy boy, and I can't imagine it would be that hard on him. Tumor removals are a lot more invasive and painful.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
madonnaswimmer said:
I just got quoted at $400 today for a rat neuter.
ouch! i was quoted that by a e places too a long time ago. they were mostly from places not used or greatly experienced with rats. the vet i found that is good with rats in my area only charges me $80 plus tax which comes out to be about $90 something. but i hav eheard of a vet a couple hours away that only charges $35 for a spay or neuter in a rat. makes me wish i lived closer to that vet but the one i have isn't too bad either.

keep looking around and i'm sure you'll find a place that will charge a whole lot less and may even be more experienced anyway.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
oh, and i'm going to contact holly and ask if i can keep stewie. once i get the go ahead on that i'm going to call the vet for the neuter appointment. hopefull stewie and bribery will be back with girls by hte end of the month/beginning of next month (depending on how fast i get the reply i want and when i can make the appointment)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts