Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm wanting to get a couple of boys, but I want to get them neutered. They won't be sharing a cage with my girls, but I don't want to risk one of the boys meeting any of the girls (seeing as how I have four girls and my roommate has three girls). I called around getting estimates for neuters today... and most of them were around $200 PER PIECE 8O

I did, however, find a place that does them for $45 per rat, but they also said that they charge $2 for every minute that they're under. My question is, how long do they go under for during a neuter?

I'm thinking that I might try a rescue... I know that there's one 45 minutes away that has a neuter program where they pay for part of the cost, I'm just not sure how much. Does anyone know of any rescues that have programs like this in either Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, or Western Ohio?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My vet and I really aren't fans of the whole, "low cost neuter/spay clinics," since you have to wonder what exactly they compromised in order for it to be so little cost.

$200 is on the (extremely) high side of average. I would go with the place that charges $45 per rat. For neuters, if the vet is experienced, the rats are only under for about 15-20 minutes. You could always call and ask the vet how long they're usually under.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'll definitely be calling them and asking how long the rats are usually under.

And I got a call back from a place with another estimate... they want me to pay $10 for a new animal fee, $77 for an exam, and $375 for a neuter. FOR EACH RAT. Guh, I'm honestly just wanting to give up and not get boys... at least while I've got girls around.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Keep in mind that a lot of vets/vet clinics won't tell you they don't do surgeries on rats, rather they'll just quote you an extremely high price to dissuade you from going along with it. It's not very professional at all, and it's unfortunate that it happens. Some people I know have been quoted upwards of $700-$900, if you can believe it 8O

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow some of those prices are sooo exspensive, where i live in the UK its £32.50 per ratty. Remmy is booked in for the 25th january, i am very nervous :?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I would get a quote with the est. anesthesia time. If it ends up being an hour because they aren't good at it, then there's $120.00!

·
Registered
261 Posts
$200 is an expensive price and $375 is even worse. $136 is a good price to get your rat neutered. No need to be nervous Eva. My old rat, Boogie, had to have surgery because the skin at the tip of her tail came off so she had to get the whole bone chopped off! :cry: She lived, thankfully. Good luck and keep us updated after the visit to the vet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.