Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neville and Remus are our 10 week old boys. They joined our family on Monday evening and are our first ratties. They are settling into their four storey home well (although have only explored the top two floors so far!) and are already showing their developing personalities. Neville is pretty chilled, I can already tell he's going to be a big snuggly boy! He's the more confident one at the moment, loves cuddles and chasing a ball around the cage. Remus is a little more shy, although he's slowly starting to gain confidence. He came out for a cuddle all on his own today - very happy rat mama! While I type he's laid on his back letting daddy tickle his belly. Their home is HUGE! It's filled with lots of hidey spots, cosy places to sleep and lots of things to climb on. As you can imagine, to fill a cage this size (just over 5 feet tall) it would take a lot of bedding! Before we brought the boys home we decided to start with litter training straight away. We decided to use bath towels to line their cage, making it easier to clean and more cost effective in the long run! I also think it looks pretty cosy ;) Neville has a bit of a sneeze going on at the moment. I've read a lot about 'new home sneezing' and so I'm not *too* concerned just yet. His nose and eyes are clean and his breathing is normal. I'll be keeping a close watch on him and Remus over the next few days just to make sure. They play together at every opportunity, lots of squeaking! They are pretty vocal, especially Neville. This also had me a little concerned since he's sneezing a fair bit too, but again I don't think it's anything to worry too much about at the moment.So this week we'll just be getting to know each other, I'm also trying them out with some different foods to see what they enjoy. Any tips on gaining their trust, or good foods to try for 10 wo rats would be much appreciated! Hopefully I'll be able to get some photos of them soon too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I've learned so much already from here, looking forward to knowing more as my boys grow.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've had a pretty busy day here! Neville's sneezing was more consistent than yesterday, with a little squeaking added in with it. He was also making a lot of 'clucking' noises this morning which had me worried. I decided to book him in for a quick check up at the vets to be on the safe side. I've seen a lot of people say not to buy animals from larger pet stores, but the main pet shop in the UK (Pets at Home) are actually pretty great. They have an on-site vet who fit Neville in a couple of hours after I called, provided the examination and medication free of charge, and gave Remus a quick check up too. Neville's lungs are clear and there's no sign of porphyrin around his nose/eyes, diagnosed with a mild URI. Remus is absolutely fine with the odd sneeze but both boys have been given a dose of Bayril to take for a week. Hopefully we'll be cleared up soon!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you! I'm already totally in love with them both. Their names are Harry Potter inspired haha. We're trying the babies out with different foods, slowly introducing a new thing every day. Chicken is a massive hit, and they gobbled down a little bit of oatmeal yesterday too. Since they're still taking Baytril it works as a yummy treat afterwards! Neville's clucking sound has gone away but he's still sneezing (only had ABs for 3 days). Some of his sneezes sound much wetter than before, almost like he has a stuffy nose. Does anyone know if this is a good sign or not? We're booked in at the vet again next Friday for a 7 day review if he's no better.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Twice daily oral Baytril for Neville is becoming the bane of our lives! Poor boy doesn't do well having a syringe forced in his mouth. Tonight I introduced mashed banana to the boys for the first time, sneaked Neville's medicine into a mouthful and he gobbled it down without issue. Hurray!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awwww! They're so cute! I haven't tried it yet but I've heard they like yoghurt so that might be another way of sneaking it into the poor wee guy. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am currently going through the same thing with one of our girls. She is not enjoying the syringe either. :(

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am currently going through the same thing with one of our girls. She is not enjoying the syringe either. :(
I've found mashed banana with the medicine mixed into a bit works well. I've also squirted it onto a small piece of chicken and hand fed him that. Unconventional I guess but it gets it in him! Yoghurt is also good but it goes really runny once you mix the liquid in!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've found mashed banana with the medicine mixed into a bit works well. I've also squirted it onto a small piece of chicken and hand fed him that. Unconventional I guess but it gets it in him! Yoghurt is also good but it goes really runny once you mix the liquid in!
I think I might try the banana idea! Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aww! I love their names; are they named after Neville Longbottom and Remus Lupin? Sorry if they're not; I'm a big potterhead, so that was my immediate thought

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you! They are the sweetest boys. Neville is definitely alpha but has taken us as members of his mischief. He grooms and licks us whenever he can haha.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts