Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuing from my other post...

I inherited Oliver. He's the first rat I've ever owned and it was completely unintentional. My sister works at a pet store and saved him from becoming snake food. When I met him, I just fell in love. He had the sweetest little soul! He got this tumor in his abdomen that was growing at an insane rate, pushing on all his organs, and due to his age they weren't sure he'd survive surgery. He seemed to be in pain so I made the decision to put him down. I really miss him :(

I still have my other boy, chad, who I origially got to keep Oliver company, but of course fell in love with him too. But now I feel terrible because he's alone... I don't want to get another rat because I don't want it to be this endless cycle of having to go through these little deaths, but of course he can't be alone either. I play with him all the time but I just don't think its enough. Now I'm thinking I should find a happy home for him where he could be with other rats... He's very sweet. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry about your loss - I recently lost one as well from a tumor. The little deaths are hard to get used to, but will continue to happen as rats don't have the longest lifespan. As far as keeping Chad, my first question is about his age. If he's still young (less than a year to a year and a half) I'd say to keep him and get a little friend. Introduce them on neutral ground and watch and see what happens. My second questions is about you - Do you have the time to keep him and another rat? If not, it might be best to find him a different home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! New here, not sure why I didn't get a notification...

Anyway, Ive decided to keep chad. I kind of want to get him neutered and get a girl, as I think that would be an interesting dynamic and maybe he'd like it better than a boy. Do I need to be worried about anything? I know he'd be neutered but would he still have a sex drive? I just don't want the girl to be tormented haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and the vet guessed he was around a year and Im pretty good about making time for the rats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts