Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in January I adopted Alfie from a girl who was getting ready to move out West, and couldn't take Alfie with her. Since that time, I've had a bit of trouble actually obtaining some buddies for him, for one reason or another (health, people flaking out, etc), but it's finally happened! Yesterday I picked up two little boys and brought them home. They're far too little to be in with Alfie just yet - they can squeeze through the bars of the big cage with NO problem, so until they're bigger they get to live in the quarantine cage.

Alfie, having come from Petco, is not very social. He'd much rather hang out in his cage, and interact with me on his terms. He actually dislikes coming out of his cage to hang out with me, and is not much of a cuddler. He DOES enjoy digging through the pile of clothes on the guest room bed, and that requires no interaction with me. Bringing home the babies, and watching Alfie catch their scent, and hear them playing has been very interesting... He's like a completely different rat. Curious, bruxing like mad when the babies are near, and crawling on me after I'd put the babies away. I am SO very relieved to have these buddies for him, and I'm feeling rather guilty I haven't been able to do this for him until now.

The babies are amazingly friendly, and curious, and bouncy! My goodness, I can't tell you the number of times they've climbed to the top of their cage, lost their grip and thumped on the bottom of the cage. I haven't even seen them hit the floor, they're right back up on the sides of the cage checking things out. While I was picking them up, I had all three baby boys out crawling on me, two buffs and one blue/black. One of the buffs was a rex, and I knew I wanted to bring him home. THe other buff was just as outgoing and friendly, but I was completely smitten with how the little blue hunkered down on my shoulder, under my hair, and nibbled on my ear lobe, and gave me rattie kisses. When he started bruxing I knew he had to come home with me. He was too sweet and affectionate not to. Can I say how unnerving it was the first time he started nibbling on my ear? Alfie doesn't do that at all!

Both boys are settled in to their cage, although the little buff rex figured out a way to get out, which caused some distress on my part. His name is now Houdini, because of this. I've since fixed the gaps in his cage (the spacing at the top of the Petsmart All Living things Rat Manor cage is juuuuust wide enough for a 5 week old to slip through). While they're insanely cute at this age, I'm looking forward to when they're big enough to not be able to escape, and I know Alfie is too.

Okay, enough blabbing, onto pictures! Sorry I can't flip these, I'm uploading them directly from my phone.

Nose Skin Cheek Rat Eye

·
Registered
58 Posts
So cute!!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both... I am pretty smitten with them.. Houdini is going to be fun, I can tell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts