Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2 year old neutered male, Kyle, who is slightly obese but very healthy. For example, all his cagemates have had a bout with Myco (They came in with it - shelter rats), but he has always been strong and free of any symptoms.

I just noticed that his urine is extremely strong smelling - and not your normal rat pee smell. I have had to give him a bath twice. I just bleached the whole cage yesterday and threw out all boxes etc and within 24 hours his sleeping bag now smells very strongly like potent cat urine. Diet has not changed, except that I added 10% Oxbow Regal to their normal food mix. I have had him since 8 weeks old. Any ideas? Could this be kidney issues, or excreting protein? Worried about him. Would love to hear the forums ideas on the cause of this.

·
Registered
953 Posts
No way to know for certain with having a vet check whats in the urine.

possibilities-too much protein in the diet.
Kidney issues, diabetes and liver issues. Bladder and/or kidney infection.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Pretty much all rats have myco (unless they're specialty type lab rats), so I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's just if their immune system gets weakened that they start having issues with it.

If it smells very potent, I would maybe think it could be an infection? How is he acting? I know that's not much a relief since they hide discomfort very well.. but if he's not acting unwell yet, that hopefully means whatever the issue is, it isn't too bad yet.

I would definitely take him in to a vet and maybe bring a sample of his urine too. I'm not sure if they would want to test it (you could probably ask when you're making the appointment) but you can put him in a bare cage or large tupperware until he pees and then collect it from the bottom that way so they can test it. A vet can also feel the kidneys and liver to feel if they feel enlarged or uneven. At the very least, they can give him some antibiotics to clear up possible infection (I've read clavamox is very good at urinary infections if the vet suspects that).

I hope it's nothing serious, let us know how he does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts