Rat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, obviously I'm new to this forum.:p My name's Heather, and I have a young rat pup currently. It shouldn't be away from it's mother, that I know for sure. But it was snake food and the snake didn't eat it. Now here would be the problems: I don't have any knowledge on taking care of such a young rat, all but one of the people in my house would not approve of me raising a rat so it's kind of a secret, and I don't think I have any proper tools or food to take care of it. I also don't have the money to go out and buy anything.
So, I'm not sure if any experienced people cruise through this part of the forum, but could anybody help me in this situation? I don't know when the last time the little guy ate, but it's probably been almost twelve hours. He nibbled a tiny bit on some cucumber at 11:00 this morning (it's now seven PM). His eyes are open, and he can walk around fairly well. He's been sleeping the rest of the time.

Thanks.:)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Can you find a rescue to surrender him to? This is a situation bound to end in failure. He needs milk given every three hours and rat food and a big cage an a friend.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is him right now, I have very high doubts of him making it, but I don't want him to go without even trying to help him.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
He is so cute! I wish I had more advice for you, but I don't know anything about raising baby rats. I wish you and him luck though!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree that he is quite cute.:) But unfortunately, he's going. He'll probably pass away in the next hour or two. He's not doing well at all.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Baby soy or kitten formula.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
He needs kitten milk replacement or soy infant formula NOW or he will not make it. As weird and gross as this may sound, a little human breast milk will work in this situation just to get some food in him if you have any on tap. Get the formula and use a small paintbrush to feed him. A needless syringe can be used in a pinch too. I cannot stress enough that you HAVE to get him food. Starvation is not a painless way to go and he still has a shot of making it but only if he gets fed!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have either of those. There's honestly nothing that can be done for him anymore. His body is lifeless, but he is somehow still breathing, he's barely hanging on. I thought he was gone a couple times. Poor guy.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
At this point i say give him the milk!!!!! Warm it but not scalding. His chances are slim but christ feed him!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts