Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted previously about concerns for my new baby rat.

Her coat is shinny and soft, her eyes are wide open and bright, very minimal discharge from her nose (I noticed some on day 1 but not since then), she's not dehydrated (I pulled the skin and it went back fast) and she's been eating (the first day I got her she ate like crazy but now she isn't as much. She just picks at stuff). I also did the "rat phone" and hear only a heartbeat, although last night I heard breathing but this morning I did the rat phone again and hear just her heartbeat.

My concern is, she's been sneezing. It only started last night that she's make a chattering noise and then sneeze right afterwards. I'm not sure if this is her being stressed out and getting used to her new home or what.

She has a fleece hammock that I made her (it's been in her cage since day 1) that she seems to be in 24/7 unless I encourage her to get down to grab some food. Although in sure she does eat without me doing that.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My boys sneezed a lot for about a week or so when I first got them. It stopped once they had settled in and got used to the new smells and environment.
The chattering is usually a sign of stress/excitement. My adult boys do it if I take them to an unfamiliar place, or if they hear me opening the treat jar. As you get to know your rat you will hopefully be able to read from body language/situation what your rats chattering means. Has your rat got a friend? Someone to play with would encourage her to leave her hammock - rats are very social and can become quite depressed if kept alone. Something to consider if you haven't already.

If you are really worried about her, I would just book a vet appointment for a check up. I did this when I got my three - it got them on registered on the system, I got to meet my new vet and it gave me peace of mind that my new babies were all ok.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My boys sneezed a lot for about a week or so when I first got them. It stopped once they had settled in and got used to the new smells and environment.
The chattering is usually a sign of stress/excitement. My adult boys do it if I take them to an unfamiliar place, or if they hear me opening the treat jar. As you get to know your rat you will hopefully be able to read from body language/situation what your rats chattering means. Has your rat got a friend? Someone to play with would encourage her to leave her hammock - rats are very social and can become quite depressed if kept alone. Something to consider if you haven't already.

If you are really worried about her, I would just book a vet appointment for a check up. I did this when I got my three - it got them on registered on the system, I got to meet my new vet and it gave me peace of mind that my new babies were all ok.
Thanks for your reply! It's kind of weird the sound she makes. It doesn't seem alarming or anything. But it's when she's in the cage just exploring around that she does it then she sneezes right after.

She's in quarantine right now, but I do have another rat for her to be cage mates with once I'm 100% that she's healthy. I really don't want my other rat sick or to be given some sort of virus. So my rat is in the living room and the one who's in quarantine is in my bedroom for the time being :)

I've also been mixing baby food with 2 drops of oregano oil because I hear it's good for viruses and to make their immune system better and I've been syringe feeding her that once a day. She's been drinking water and eating also.

Everything seems good, other than the chattering noise and sneezing. I'm mainly just probably freaking out about it because I previously got a rat and she was very ill from the start and sneezing is how it started out.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know. I'm a first time rat mommy so I'm still learning haha

·
Registered
955 Posts
What kind of bedding do you keep her on? Do you have any air fresheners or candles burning? Sometimes mine get a little sneezy when I have perfume on.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of bedding do you keep her on? Do you have any air fresheners or candles burning? Sometimes mine get a little sneezy when I have perfume on.
She, as well as my other rat that I've had for a month are both on soft & cozy (I think that's what it's called) by Kaytee. It's a 99.9% dust free paper bedding. As well as a fleece hammock.

I haven't been spraying perfume on myself until I'm outside to prevent that. But by the time I get home it doesn't really smell anymore and I change my clothes anyhow.

I honestly just think it's her getting used to her environment although I wish I could relieve her stress somehow so the chattering will stop at night time. I'm going to a few pet store today to get more toys to occupy her at night time. Maybe that will help :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
To keep her busy you could try scattering some of her food in the loose bedding for her to hunt and forage for and hide some treats in balls of paper or folded up toilet rolls. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Fate of Hellas Total Annihilation: Battle Tactics. Since tickets have already purchased, it looks like Carmageddon may not affect the box office figures, but with significant traffic delays in store, ticket holders in Los Angeles may not make it to their seats in time if they forget about the 405 closure. In addition to this fully secured property investment, investors get a pro rata share when their property is sold.Feel free to surf to my web blog: carmageddon bay Area

1 - 8 of 8 Posts