Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

If you're reading this, thank you for taking the time to do so! :)

I got a new rat today from my local pet store. When I picked her at the pet store, I did the "rat phone" and I could just hear her heartbeat. Her fur was soft and shiny and her eyes were opened wide and they're bright.

However, upon bringing her home, she's been sneezing here and there and making a grinding noise with her teeth I think? And she has had some porphorin discharge from her nose (not a lot but since she's a caramel color, it seemed to stand out moreso than say, on an all brown rat if that makes sense)

She's been eating and drinking water and exploring her cage when I first brought her home but now tonight she's laying down in a corner near her food bowl that's attached to the cage (understandably so, though since she's had a long day)

Mainly my concern is how long should this last? I'm aware that sometimes they do the whole sneezing and porphorin out of the nose while getting accustomed to their new home but at what point should it become a concern?

Only reason why I'm asking is because I've recently had to bring a rat back due to sneezing that turned into almost barking-like noises with gurgling after having her for only 3 weeks.

Thank you for your comments :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
It can last a couple days, they have to get used to their environment. Teeth grinding noise can be bruxing, which is usually a good sound, a relaxed happy rat bruxes, but sometimes a stressed rat can brux. But getting a rat, or any pet, from a pet store you run the risk of them being sick, or having poor breeding and therefore a weaker system. You should have a rat knowledgable exotic vet picked out and if she starts to sound bad, or your worried you can take her in and have her treated. Does she have a cage mate? Or is she going to be introduced to a cagemate(s)?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can last a couple days, they have to get used to their environment. Teeth grinding noise can be bruxing, which is usually a good sound, a relaxed happy rat bruxes, but sometimes a stressed rat can brux. But getting a rat, or any pet, from a pet store you run the risk of them being sick, or having poor breeding and therefore a weaker system. You should have a rat knowledgable exotic vet picked out and if she starts to sound bad, or your worried you can take her in and have her treated. Does she have a cage mate? Or is she going to be introduced to a cagemate(s)?
She's sneezing every so often (it's like 1 sneeze then not another for like a half hour to an hour) so I put oil of oregano in her water just in case (it's supposed to help with viruses and the immune system). She will have a cage mate. I actually have another rat that I've had for a month now. I'm just putting this one in quarantine for 2-3 weeks to make sure everything is good before introducing them.

I did the "rat phone" again this morning and everything sounds normal to me. All I could hear was her heartbeat and her sniffing with her nose.

And I haven't noticed a lot of porphorin from her nose this morning. When I first woke up I said hello to her and her nose was clear. But I've only been up for like 30 mins so I'll have to check again soon.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The sneezing is probably due to her getting used to the environment. Keep an eye out on it though and for any wheezing of the chest. If you see the sneezing doesn't get better, or worse rather take her to the vet. I would also suggest having a second water supply with no Oregano oil in it. Rats can be very fussy over their water and don't like their water supply to be tampered with. She might not drink it and dehydration could set in.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yeah that sounds like she is just getting used to everything, but quarintine is always a good idea. (I don't always... But it's risky not to) i second the water bit. I avoid putting anything in the water, it's to easy for them to stop drinking and then you have a bigger problem.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys! I changed her water to regular water with flavourless vitamin liquid added into it.

Syringe fed her baby food with some oregano oil instead, that way I know she's getting the oregano oil in her.

I listened to her chest tonight and it still sounds good and her nose is clean also but she sneezed 2 times within like 5 mins.

Any other advice of what I can do to help make this quarantine easier for her? I really appreciate you guys taking the time to write out :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.