Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Today I added two beautiful eight week old girls to my mischief. Intros are going well and even though they're still in separate cages, when they're together on the bed they seem to have a great time!My concern is for one of the new girls, Pancakes. I only got her this morning but she won't stop sleeping, even when the group is all on the bed. She'll play for a minute but then find a cozy spot to pass out. She has the new home sneezes but nothing too bad and no other symptoms. She's not hunched or fluffy. And she's eating. And while she's sleeping, she lets me do anything to her (pet, tickle etc)Do you think I need to Worry?Also - I know I should have quarantined. But I didn't... I know it was wrong. Thanks for any advice! I'm quite panicked!

·
Registered
555 Posts
My girls slept a lot when they first came home too. Probably just having a huge change in routine is tiring her out. Just keep an eye on her, although I'm sure everything is fine :). Rats normally sleep up to 12 hours a day.

Also, new home sneezes should only last a few days. Anything more than that and I'd bring her to the vet for a round of medicine so it doesn't get passed onto the rest of your ratties also.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply. She's up and hyper now, so I think it must be because of her young age and adjusting to a new home. And, her sneezes are so much better!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ratties do sleep way more than us humans do haha. I'd take it as a good sign, she's comfortable enough around you and her new friends to sleep (AKA be at her most vulnerable)

Often times new rats will have a different schedule than we do... she will adjust eventually and you should notice that she will be more awake and active when you and her new friends are.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yeah, sounds pretty normal. My rats slept all the time when I first got them and they still do 12pm-6pm everyday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts