Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

The new baby I brought home took a turn for the worst... I was stayin at my friends place and she was sounding a little sniffly but not horrible...

This is her first night with me at home....She sounds like her breathing is crackling and she looks like she's having laboured breathing, BUT she wasn't like this earlier... I had the window open, and I think the cold air aggravated it ... She does it on and off

I JUST put my snow down yesterday , and I put three more pets down this semester, and have spent a ton on vet bills (poor and now depressed college student )

-can "new home sniffles " be this severe?
-she was in a tank and is now in an open air cage with much cleaner bedding, so should I hope this improves?
-has anyone successfully treated this at home...? I have doxy , but it expired 3 months ago so I need to get a new one...
Is there something more I can do? A decongestant?

Helppp! I feel like I'm drowning in dying pets and vet bills... It's a nightmare, I'm an unemployed and impoverished college student...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Crackely breathing isnt good, especially if she looks unwell with it too. This says its more than new home sniffles. She really needs the vets and a course of abs, if your going to struggle with that then i'd give her the doxy you've got, it will be better than nothing, or look into getting baytril online which would be better, espeically if you can get some coamox or amoxcyillin too. A decongestant might help, over here we use childs sudafed (crushed and a pinch) or biosolvin (again a pinch, its tolerated well so no need to be very accurate). You can also use bronchial dilator inhalers if you or your family have astham (put in a plastic box, crack open the lid and put 2 puffs in, count to 6 then lift the lid and remove the rat - note they hate it).

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may be able to take her to the vet in a week or so!
I'll start her on doxy in case it's myco and amoxi in case it is secondary gram positive bacteria (I have to double check but I'm pretty sure they can be use together) and I will do the puffer in the box as well as sudafed....
Do you know where I can get baytril...? Does anyone...?

Also she's so tiny !! She's 6 weeks old so I wonder how workin out doses will go! >_<

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found typical weight and standard deviation for 6 week old females from multiple sources....

I really wish I could take her to the vet right now! I have an exam in two hours as well, and a very difficult one tomorrow ...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update! Nori started antibiotics today (I made a 2mg/ml suspension and will be administering 0.25ml twice daily (so, 0.5 mg of doxycycline, which is good for a 150g rat I believe...) , but even yesterday her breathing improved. I kept her out of the cold draft and kept the room warmer, and she improved incredibly! I was so scared for this little baby, but she looks much, much better last night and today...

Thanks for your help :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.