Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Baby - Squeaky Breathing & Red Toe

So I got my very first ratties today!!!

They're very cute. A buff hooded 7-8 week old and a black eyed white-except-for-a-face-spot that's 5-6 weeks. We were talking to the breeder while I held all the ratties for a good 40 minutes. I didn't see anything strange.

Once we got in the car the younger one (named Blueberry because she took my blueberry bribes and devoured them) started getting quite sneezy and sniffing a lot. I figured it was just new environment sneezies. Once we got home and they were put in their new cage and I left them so they could settle down. When I went back to check on them Blueberry was asleep and I heard her squeaky breathing. I'm assuming it's a URI, and I intend on taking her to the vet. She sounds very much like this ratty does - http://youtu.be/WW7JAN7VuwE

I'm going to call tomorrow morning and try to get an appt tomorrow afternoon. But there's a chance they won't be able to get in til Wednesday (6 days away). I live in a rural area in Australia and our vet has ~9 different veterinarians who all work there on different days, most of them are livestock vets, the small animal vets are both there on Wednesdays.

So basically, is there anything I can do to help her in case I can't get an appointment until after the weekend? What's the best meds for a URI for young ratties? My vet is happy to treat them but I'm not sure they've had a lot of experience. I wanna know so I can suggest things or know what to stay away from if it's brought up. Or if there's a specific thing I can ask for if the vet isn't knowledgeable in small fluffybutts.

Also, the older one, Meelo, has one toe on her back foot that I didn't notice is kind of red and swollen until we were on our way home. She's scared right now from the long day traveling and all the new, but quite placid and will cuddle into my elbow and hide when I do pick her up. She was falling asleep on me when I was holding her. It's just one toe, only very slightly swollen, and I'm fairly confident I can use a warm compress on it because she's easy to handle. She'll be coming to the vet too so I'll get them to take a look; but once again, is there anything else I can do to try and treat it until then?

They're such beautiful babies and I just want them to be healthy D: I was too caught up in their cute when I was holding them to look them over for issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I'll get them to the vet as soon as I can but I'd still like to know if there's anything I can do until then.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Could the red toe be Bumblefoot? I'm not knowledgeable to say for certain, I'll leave that to others much more skilled in rattie things than I, but that's one thing I was looking into myself a short while ago whilst deciding on whether to switch cage floors to solid floors, and it sounds similar to what you describe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could the red toe be Bumblefoot? I'm not knowledgeable to say for certain, I'll leave that to others much more skilled in rattie things than I, but that's one thing I was looking into myself a short while ago whilst deciding on whether to switch cage floors to solid floors, and it sounds similar to what you describe.
I don't think so? It's more at the nail than anywhere else on her foot. It's kinda like this - https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_2eq8Jm9WZj0/TU9wsJF-V1I/AAAAAAAACvQ/odWXw6LnPoM/s720/IMG_0864.JPG but *nowhere near* as swollen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: Called the vet as soon as they opened and we got an appointment for 30 mins later. Vet agreed her breathing is definitely weird, but couldn't hear much through the stethoscope.

Also thinks the toe is weird and I did well spotting it. The nail is very ground down and she's not sure why it looks sore.

She's very interested in small animals and rats and is very happy to read up and such on rattie things bc though I don't think she's very experienced with them she wants to be (I guess nobody with rats around here takes them to the vet~). She'll be the one I go to whenever my ratties need some vet care. She's also super nice which is always welcomed.

Anyway! They're both on antibiotics now for the next 12 days and hopefully that'll clear them up. I feel much better and hopefully Blueberry and Meelo will soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts