Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, we finally got our new baby, a beautiful little dumbo baby, who we've named Thistle! (As our daughter was busy humming Flower of Scotland while she cuddled her in her shirt on the drive home, lol!)

Introduction went exceedingly well, we popped both girls on a new piece of fleece, upstairs on a bed that Riddles had yet to explore and they merely buzzed by each other a few times. (Keeping in mind, Riddles is probably only about 10 weeks old herself!) Then, to our surprise, intros moved into Riddles favorite spot, the front of my shirt, but both nuzzled together and everything seemed fine.

We had bought a larger cage that we'd set aside so it would be ready for the twosome, (no smells of Riddles in there to avoid territorial scuffles). Considering how well they were getting on, we decided to put the little wooden house Riddles has been using in there, watching carefully, but no sign of agression from Riddles.

Our new wee girl, however, is a zooming fuzzlet, showing off her impressive Spider Rat skills, while zipping around the cage. Riddles, on the other hand, is a cautious, gentle soul and while watching them, the baby keeps jumping on her and doing a strange 'vibrating hug' while semi-riding on the back of Riddles. When Thistle does this, Riddles will stop and shut her eyes.

I know Riddles is a lot bigger, but she seems to almost be being bullied by the wee one? Naturally, we're making a huge fuss of Riddles (she's already such a spoiled girl, going everywhere with me in my shirt), so I took her out for a moment to give her a wee cuddle and tell her what a good girl she was and when I went to put her back in the larger cage, she almost seemed afraid to go in?

Have we made a mistake?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a few photos!

Within 10 minutes of meeting each other, nap time in Mum's shirt! Riddles is the white girl and the wee Mink fuzzlet is Ms Thistle!
Nose Puppy Canidae Non-Sporting Group Tail

Thistle, completely unconscious in her big sisters shirt!
Hand Leg Muscle Close-up Sleep

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol, she was OUT too, my daughter moved and she actually ROLLED down the front of her, she popped her head down her shirt and, there's the baby, feet up, fast asleep.

Any insight into the 'vibrating hugs'?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Sounds like mounting to me. My girls do it to each other as well. I think it can either be about dominance or just crazy heat hormones. I got two of my males neutered about a month ago and just recently started introducing them to my girls; poor little guys get mounted more than anything else lol

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That's when they typically reach sexual maturity, so she's probably got all kinds of crazy things going on with her hormones.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhhh....gotcha, thanks kksrats! I was feeling horrible yesterday, Riddles was sleeping outside of the wee house yesterday morning, but this morning, they were both in there! (Whew!)

Does everyone feel guilty when they bring a new one home?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yes, I feel guilty on many levels. First there's the fact that my attention is now split another way, and then there's the what ifs involved in introductions, and the worries about possible communicable diseases that I may have just brought home with my new babies. It goes on and on lol but it never seems to stop me and my rats all seem perfectly happy.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The only time I ever felt guilty, was after I already had 4 rats.

It was a pretty weird situation because someone on the Internets was giving away 3 boys (They needed a home desperately), fibbing about how old they were and I didn't see any pictures.
So, I ended up with 6 month old rats who towered over the resident rats. The three big boys were SO cute/friendly to me... But the introduction didn't go well and I was so nervous about the new guys hurting my little ones, I unfortunately had to give them back... I could just kind of sense that my resident rats weren't going to be happy and were upset.

Other than that, all of the other introductions have been a success. (I am up to 8 now in one mischief.)
For some reason, I get the feeling that my 4 resident rats get really happy when their family grows in size. More cuddle buddies, I suppose.

I have kind of felt bad that I haven't been giving the littler ones more attention. But they follow my big boys' leads and have warmed up to me significantly.

Right now, though? I am having some intense bonding sessions with the 4 younger rats. They're all asleep on me right now. ^_^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts