Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Petco this morning and ended up purchasing a baby rat. It was an unplanned purchase. I spent time watching the lone baby rat, left the store, came back, and the baby rat was about to be sold as food to a nice man and his snake. I knew my cage was big enough for one more....so-

I asked the Petco employee if I should seperate the rats for any length of time. I was told to put them all together and they would be fine. I had a introduction on the bathroom floor. It went well. I'm keeping the baby in a smaller cage. She's very small compared to my six month old girls. When they are all together, the baby seems so happy. The older girls take care of her, bring her food, and constantly groom her. When she's in the smaller cage, she hides and seems stressed. Do you think it's okay to keep her in the big cage with the older girls? She does have places to hide that their big tummies can't fit. She's just so small...
Finally, how can I control the smell? They can smell up the room 20 minutes after their cage has been changed.

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
well for starters, the petco employee was wrong and yes you should have separated them for 2-3 weeks (preferably in an entirely separate airspace) but seeing as how quarantine has already been broken, just keep an eye on your ratties and make sure that they get medical attention if they begin sneezing or producing excess red fluids around their nose/mouth, etc.

as for the smell, what kind of cage do you keep them in? maybe they are peeing somewhere you didn't know and are staying stinky that way? maybe you have a wood chew or four in there that is holding smell? my picasso likes to pee in the very top corner of her cage, which really means that she pees all down the side of her cage and onto the table below. check for those kind of things.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Aaaaaaaw what a lucky ratty :p But you should have quarrentined first like onlyono said, but oh well, you wasnt to know and the pet store person should have known. I would go back to the pet store just to let him/her know what to do next time :D

Congratulations by the way! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts