Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two old boys (1.9 yrs old) and have been considering for the past few weeks about adding a new rat. I decided on getting a young boy to make the intros easier, and I got him yesterday! :D
He's a mink berkshire, 6 weeks old. I've never had a rat so small because my current boys (my first rats) were at least 2-2.5 months old when I first got them. The size difference is astounding to me, Im only just realizing how big my current boys are haha! Big cute fatties.

The new rat (his name is Jag, from Jaguar) is from a pet shop but is very well handled and social (No feeder rats or feeder rat breeding here in New Zealand). He was so comfortable even in the carrier on the way home that he jumped around everywhere in the carrier and ate some frozen peas with no problem :) (it's pretty hot here these days!)

Did immersion with him as soon as we got home, he was completely fine being touched and picked up, even ate food while sitting on me. Then he went to sleep after about an hour and half on a piece of fleece under my leg while 'cuddling' with my other leg, so I decided it was a success. Had 2 more play sessions in the bathroom today, he seems to have a habit of sticking his head into fleece or my hair if he's trying to sleep ;D
He is quite easily excitable, if I tap my fingers around on the floor and move my hand around he chases it, if I lightly tickle his face or rump he popcorns away like crazy and runs back to fight my hand again haha hes super energetic and so fast!
I think I got super lucky, having been able to get such a well handled and easygoing rat from a pet shop. Although I think most shops in NZ are pretty good with rats since they're all sold as pets. Ive also seen some get some quality fruit and veges :)

But now after seeing him alone in his cage I think Ill go back and get one of his brothers :rolleyes: I was adamant about having just 3 rats at one time, but seeing him sleep alone with noone to cuddle is just heartbreaking and if it goes on like this Im know Im going to get weak and intro him too early (too short quarantine, also too young) to my old boys.. So fingers crossed that some of his brothers are still at the store!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Kelsbels! Now I dont understand how I thought until today that having to introduce new rats to Jag in the future was going to be better/easier than the difference between keeping 3 rats instead of 4 haha

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yeah I think generally it's good idea to have a pair around the same age when introducing them to older rats. Best wishes!

·
Registered
604 Posts
He really looks like a sweetheart. And that is amazing the NZ doesn't support feeder rat breeding. Perhaps it will catch on on to other places someday. I've read a lot of intro topics and they all have suggested that introducing a pair to a current mischief is better. I do hope everything works out. Keep us updated for sure!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks mis.kay! There is no feeder rat breeding here, because we dont have a single snake (either wild or captive.. although there might be some in zoos maybe)? Importing any kind of reptilian predator is taken VERY seriously, as our native fauna evolved without snakes or land mammals (apart from 2 species of bats) so they're pretty much completely defenseless against those kinds of predators.

I got the second baby boy today! I will definitely keep posting about these guys! :D

This is Coyo, he is one of Jag's littermates (according to the petshop people). He is buff/beige with ruby eyes, but his fur looks light enough to make him sometimes look almost white :D And he seems to have no fear of open spaces!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts