Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys...

We have three new rats... one has been here three weeks, the other two only one. Two are brothers, and are adults. The third is younger. (never can tell exact ages... they came from a chain store...)

They were all in a temporary cage (well... I thought it was a fine cage, until I found out he needed friends and the cage was too small.... that's a whole other story....)

anyway...

we got a Double Critter Nation from amazon thanks to their recent nice sale price... Seems to be a great cage with tons of room for the boys...

Here's my question...

The younger and one of the older were purchased a couple of weeks after the first, as friends to the first. We understand the two older rats are brothers.

All three seem to get along fine with each other, and are all very comfortable being held/played with so things seem fine there...

It seems that the youngster has accepted his new cage well... he runs the ramps and generally seems comfortable in the space. The older two seem far less enthused, and reluctant to explore. Are the older two just "stunted" from being too long in the pet store small cage ... or should I be concerned?

All three are plenty curious when offered the chance to free range in a closed room....

It's only been a couple of days... are the older two just still getting used to things or is there something I could do?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Some boys are really lazy and spend a lot of time in one area of their cage. Sometimes rats are a bit shy and explore a little bit at a time til they are more comfortable with their new surroundings. Sometimes they do a lot of exploring at night while you are sleeping. I wouldn't worry about it. With a little time they will either begin playing all over the cage or prove to be just lazy boys. In either case, you have a great cage for them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts