Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new cage for the boys and had to get it delivered to my work as no one is in to receive it at home. Oh boy the box is huge!

The package is 24kg and enormous, and I've been giving everyone at work a good laugh who already think I'm a bit nuts with the rats. It's gonna be fun getting this thing home - my boys better appreciate it! Will post pics when I get everything built :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ahhhhh so excited to see it all up and your boys loving it :D

I did this with my SRS and ended up getting 3 scaffolders (I work for a scaffolding company) driving it to our house for me and carrying it up the stairs haha!! It's so exciting :D

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The delivery guy was laughing at me lol!
Also, he was telling me just the other day he delivered a much bigger cage (I assume an SRS) to a woman who had.... wait for it.... 150 rats!!! What?! We asked if she was hoarding but he said they were cute and well cared for, but wall to wall cages in her home. Nuts!

·
Registered
543 Posts
WHATTTTT?!?! 150?! How in gods name does she cope?! I couldn't go over 10 without feeling incredibly over my head! I've got my 6 atm in 3 different cages which is driving me nuts so god help that many cages!

You're going to have so much fun decorating it and setting it all up :D Ria was less than pleased about building it, I however was like a child with a new Lego set haha!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know - I can't wait to get it home and start building! Its twice the size of my old one so will give so much more space for funzies!

·
Registered
953 Posts
LOL I was feeling like a bit of a hoarder after deciding to keep all of Gooses' babies. 150!!!!! OMG I would go out of my mind-you would need to hire a rat nanny or something. hahaha

·
Registered
543 Posts
Lara - They're gonna love you even more!!! :D

Mimsy - You would really have to! I'd hire my own task force to do play, feeds and cleaning. Guys if I ever go over 10, just talk me down! I fear any over 10 could end up at 20... Ria would not be happy!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ya, I don't feel that it would be right to adopt out part wilds to someone. I've lurked on every rat board, scoured the internet and came to the conclusion that with most of the halfsies they inherited a lot of wildness. It seems unfair to both the new family and the rats to be a situation they may not be ready for. On the good side-the babies show no wildness as of yet and are kissy sweetiepies. On the bad side-I've owned rats for about 3 decades and never had more than 3 at one time. :) So it's a huge change. But I did run a ferret shelter for over a decade and that was a ton of work, with an average of 30-50 ferrets at any given time. But I did have volunteers, and it was like a full time job and then some. I am currently ferretless, I lost my last old lady a few months back.

Can't wait to see pictures of your new cage!! It's so much fun getting new stuff for them. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ya, I don't feel that it would be right to adopt out part wilds to someone. I've lurked on every rat board, scoured the internet and came to the conclusion that with most of the halfsies they inherited a lot of wildness. It seems unfair to both the new family and the rats to be a situation they may not be ready for. On the good side-the babies show no wildness as of yet and are kissy sweetiepies. On the bad side-I've owned rats for about 3 decades and never had more than 3 at one time. :) So it's a huge change. But I did run a ferret shelter for over a decade and that was a ton of work, with an average of 30-50 ferrets at any given time. But I did have volunteers, and it was like a full time job and then some. I am currently ferretless, I lost my last old lady a few months back.

Can't wait to see pictures of your new cage!! It's so much fun getting new stuff for them. :)
Completely! At least you know what to expect but by the looks of the pictures, they're just complete sweethearts! Such cooties :) WOW. Thats a LOT of Ferrets. Me and the OH are currently looking into maybe homing 2 ferrets when we have at least 4/5 months worth of stock for them (I like to be prepared haha!). So you might be my "go to girl" for Ferret advice :D So sorry to hear about your old lady though :-( Irregardless of what animal it is, it always breaks your heart.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you have ferret questions, I can probably answer them. :) I'm sure you know, but ferrets must never come in contact with the ratties. Their diet is can be a pain-they are carnivorous in the most purest sense. They also require a lot of out time and activities. On the good side, they sleep a lot, like close to 20 hrs in a day, but when they are awake-they are very awake. You can almost expect a medical surgery at some point, so I recommend a decent amount set aside. Ferret proofing and rat proofing are different too. Obviously anything a rat can't get into, neither can a ferret-however things to consider a rat may chew the buttons off your remote. A ferret may likely eat them and get a blockage. Our rats are naturally fearful of high places and generally don't jump down. A ferret also has terrible eyesight but if he can't see the floor he's likely to test out how far down is by jumping for it. They are fearless. So there are different safety concerns.

You may already of researched those things-but I figure I'd throw out my obligatory warnings of ferret owning. On the great side-they are the little court jesters of the animal world and if you have any sense of humor they will surely make you giggle every day with their antics.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you have ferret questions, I can probably answer them. :) I'm sure you know, but ferrets must never come in contact with the ratties. Their diet is can be a pain-they are carnivorous in the most purest sense. They also require a lot of out time and activities. On the good side, they sleep a lot, like close to 20 hrs in a day, but when they are awake-they are very awake. You can almost expect a medical surgery at some point, so I recommend a decent amount set aside. Ferret proofing and rat proofing are different too. Obviously anything a rat can't get into, neither can a ferret-however things to consider a rat may chew the buttons off your remote. A ferret may likely eat them and get a blockage. Our rats are naturally fearful of high places and generally don't jump down. A ferret also has terrible eyesight but if he can't see the floor he's likely to test out how far down is by jumping for it. They are fearless. So there are different safety concerns.

You may already of researched those things-but I figure I'd throw out my obligatory warnings of ferret owning. On the great side-they are the little court jesters of the animal world and if you have any sense of humor they will surely make you giggle every day with their antics.
I kind of knew all of them things but you know when you read something on someones blog and you think "pfft, how true can that be?!". I did that. So it's nice to hear it off someone with loads of experience!! :D It's going to be months before we decide to do it or not so the few months we have are just our investigating month to know whether they would or wouldn't fit into our household and life :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New cage!

Well I was pretty lucky, I got a lovely taxi driver who carried my giant package all the way to my front door. Turns out he kept rats as a child - what are the chances?

So it took all evening but I managed to single handedly build the new cage and get it set up. I'll need to have a proper think at the weekend about what I need to get to make best use of all this extra space, but for now it will do. Boys seem happy, and it's lovely to see them with so much more room to play!
Might need to rethink where that mirror on the wall is hung though!

Added a pic to show how tiny my old cage looks now!

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Love the cage! Do your rats behave with the fleece lining, mine would rip it to shreds! :O

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They've been fine with fleece so far, but I did notice one digging at the edge tonight so the new cage may well encourage them to pull it up. Love the cage so far, only minus is the bar spacing. Too wide for babies or girls. Was teasing them with yogurt drops just to make sure they couldn't get their head through!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Haha, good idea! Well i hope for the sake of your beautiful cage set up that the new cage doesn't encourage them to pull it up. Mine use to tunnel beneath it so i fixed all the sides down to the tray of the cage and they just bit holes in it and carried on tunnelling!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, you still have the old cage with tiny bar spacing, for babies, just sayin' ;)

That is a really nice cage--looks like your boys are enjoying the new set-up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Oooooo nice cage!!! My lads tunnel under fleece, thats why I moved to Finacard :) The babies are on fleece and don't bother but I think it's only time haha :D

It look FAB! Bet your boys love it :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts