My Meromi got the front half of her foot caught in a .5"x.5" wire floor when I first got her and she twisted her ankle trying to get free. Also, Acid got a small scratch on her foot and thanks to the fire floors they used to have, she developed bumblefoot.Lise said:Looks great! I like that coast cage.
As for wire floors.... if you cover the floors and don't religiously wipe up the pee puddles that breeds bacteria and that will cause bumblefoot! It is a myth that wire floors you are more prone to bumblefoot.
I have been using uncovered wire floors for years and never had a problem. My rats have hammocks and boxes and sometimes they love to just curl up on teh wire floor -- so it can't be that uncomfortable!
And I have never, ever had a rat get a foot stuck. It is 1/2" x 1/2" wire. I'm not sure where all these myths come from.