Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to be making a new cage set for my ratties for when I introduce my new rat to the others. I also have always wanted to make a whole cage set because I think the cage looks more put together and cute.

But I need ideas, I am going to make hammocks and cut pink fleece out for the cage liners. I got flannel with pink owls and the pink fleece to make hammocks. If I have enough of the owl flannel left I might make the cage liners for the shelfs with the owls and fleece.

Anyways I need hammock ideas I want to make neat ones I have a few ideas but looking for more. Also any ideas of things I should get to match with the cage set like toy ideas, other cage accessories, etc.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Tunnel, peek a boo, cube and honeycomb? That is the set I made for my cage trying to cover all bases and the boys love it. I have a DCN and I put two hammocks per single. You could fit more in but since I have a lot of toys and other items, 4 hammocks seems like a good amount. I think it is important to make a set that is tailored to the personalities of the rats using it. Since my boys like to burrow and sleep inside of things, this set really does a great job. If your ratties like to be out in the open, I would go for maybe flats, corners, spiderwebs, double deckers or a mixture for variety. I suppose it also depends on how much fabric you want to use. Cubes and honeycombs require more fabric than flats (as you probably know) so if you want to have enough owl material for liners, might wanna make some of the less fabric costly hammocks. Good luck, pink themes are always fun looking.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I usually make 2 hammocks a set but I only have the rat manor so that fills it up pretty well, the sets I make for warm weather have a flat hammock and a closed in hammock like a cube. For winter I plan to make pocket hammocks instead of flat hammocks and still have the cubes. The best thing about sewing for rats is that they don't care if you mess up and your cube looks more like a weird misshapen hexagon, (don't ask it really happened) :) Good luck! Also cubes are the most loved hammocks in my cage.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Do your rats have favorites? If so I would go with the styles they prefer. Mine like the cubes, envelope style sleepers, Tubes, only if something is used to keep them opened. Since Buttercup prefers opened topped wicker baskets, I was thinking of making something like that too-kinda of like a cube without a top or side openings, out of fleece.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See mine only have two kinds that I have made for them, I made all kinds for other people a while back. They have two favorites. I think I might make a cube hammock, honey comb, wigwam, and a pocket one.

Any ideas for cage accessories from dollar stores? I will be going to a big one Thursday that has all kinds of things. But I'm not sure what all I should get.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Dollar stores usually have all kinds of cool stuff-plastic and wicker baskets. Baby fleece blankets, dog ropes, cat jingly balls, raffia-to make your own little toys-that's off the top of my head. If you have a lot of wine corks (I do, don't judge me), you can drill or make a hole through it and then put through a thick group of raffia, tie off at both side where the hole is so it stays.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got some wine corks from my mother and the rats already found them, haha but are still usable. I made the cage set today I just need to get more fleece for the two shelfs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts