Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I recently updated my cage.
I had a Freddy 2 and for an early Christmas present my mum has helped my buy a critter nation, I set it up on Monday!

Basically I've wrapped fleece around the shelves, they had fleece liners in the Freddy so it's not new.
I've taken shoeboxes and toys, ropes and their wooden house out of the old cage and placed it all in the new cage.

My rat pepper is quite happy in herself but my other rat Ivy she's very scatty and is on zylkene, to calm her down which she has made massive progress on.

I know the critter nation is a huge difference in size to the Freddy but, I've moved them into the cage and they haven't gone down to the bottom half atall, the top half, pepper she's been going frrom the shelf to the base a bit, but Ivy hasn't moved from her house, I've noticed the food hasn't been eaten as much so I moved it to the top shelf with them. I do feed them on veg every night too and that bowl goes next to their bed and she was happy eating from that. But she's not moving from that top shelf at all and gets really upset and panicky if I get her out and put her back somewhere other then next to her bed. So I'm letting her settle.

Any tips on making it easier for her to relax, she's on zylkene still.
But not happy, she comes out to say hello and take treats but won't venture to far from her wooden house.

Thanks muchly!
I'll try post pics Aswell, my cage is looking a bit sparse right now will be adding more in the next week!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Gratz on the new cage!!!! Looks nice, in no time I'm sure you will have collected enough toys, beds ect to fill it up and then some. :)

Don't worry about the girls, just make it comfy where they are right now. They will venture out on their own time. My current girls investigate everything in like 2 minutes, however my last two boys were not very adventurous. Took them a good week before they left the bottom section of the cage I had gotten for them. Took 2 weeks to do a full investigation. Other rats I've had were somewhere in between.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I expected Ivy to be cautious when I first got her I kept her in a smaller cage whilst getting ready to do intros, she didn't come off the tiny top shelf but after her and pepper were introduced she seemed fine in the freddy, hated being handeled!

Through zylkene to calm her and persistence and a lot of love she's got so much better, but in this cage it's back to square one I felt, and I've not done a cage change like this before, my boys stayed in the same cage their whole lives, Lily was in the Freddy with pepper but she got very poorly and didn't make it :((( then I got Ivy to join pepper in the Freddy.

The critter nation is huge, I guess it'll take some getting used to huh? Haha. She's eating and taking her meds and peppers running around in the top half of the cage happily whilst Ivy has confined herself to the shelf on the top half. We will get there!

My sisters are all getting me cage things for Christmas too, very excited to see what they come out with! :D just want the best for my girlies.
They enjoyed their dinner tonight, every night I give them pasta(uncooked) some shredded wheat, spinach, kale and broccoli with anything else I can get usually, they got some red grape with it tonight which they love too.

I got a sewing machine for my birthday and I'm constantly buying fleece with nice patterns so I'm going to make a few hammocks as I have some time off work next week!

I'm still getting kissed from pepper so they can't be that mad at me!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Awe, they will love it. Some rats just need more time to get accustomed to new things. I bet they will do a little investigating in the wee hours of morning. Ivy I bet will at least look at the next level down. You could leave a few treats here and there in different places if you wanted to try and entice em to look around a bit.

·
Registered
320 Posts
They'll come around, even your skitty girl.

It took my girls a week or so to really start moving a lot around their huge DCN--they'd been in a five gallon filthy old fish tank, so I am sure it was especially overwhelming to them.

Even nice changes and upgrades in life can be a bit stressful and scary, but they will soon be enjoying the whole cage. Try giving them lots of tubes and tunnels around the edges of the levels, to help them feel more comfortable going from place to place.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi.. I've had the cage for just over a month now, I think!
Ivy my skitty baby.. Still hasn't come down from the top shelf willingly. I found her In the bottom part of the top half one morning but she was freaking out so I think she fell down.
There are plenty of his in places.. But neither of them have gone in the bottom half still!! I'm gently encouraging but nil.
I'm not sure weather to just put them in the bottom and switch sides but I think it may stress them out!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi.. I've had the cage for just over a month now, I think!
Ivy my skitty baby.. Still hasn't come down from the top shelf willingly. I found her In the bottom part of the top half one morning but she was freaking out so I think she fell down.
There are plenty of his in places.. But neither of them have gone in the bottom half still!! I'm gently encouraging but nil.
I'm not sure weather to just put them in the bottom and switch sides but I think it may stress them out!
Have you made sure there is food, water, and a litter pan on the bottom half?

Try putting some tasty treats like baby food, fresh veggies, etc, in a dish on the bottom level.

Then leave them alone to go explore that lovely fragrance coming from the bottom of the cage ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts