Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I normally do not agree with buying animals. But, after going to this store again.. I had wanted to check on them. I saw that they sold his bonded buddy.
( Im praying to a good home and not snake food)

I also, dont want to have to justify myself to others about this decision. I am a VA/VT (student) and I recently lost my two rattie girls a few months ago. I am researching some more vets in my area for his first PE.

I noticed his cage was filthy, he is scratching a bunch (possibly mites), and has porphyrin around both eyes. I just couldnt allow him to stay there any longer. With his sneezing and dirty tank.

The first point of issue is my concern for his health.

My next priority is finding him a buddy!! Especially, now that He is showing more signs of being possibly deaf. He has been home less than 24 hours and relaxing. Everything is a new experience for him.

I would love some reassurance on my taming method and would love your advice/tips. Im going to give him the week to adjust. But, spend time sitting outside his cage and talking to him. I put my old pj shirts with my scent on them inside the cage.Which is where he has chosen to sleep.

Im thinking of doing the peanut butter and spoon method. Along with dropping a lot of high rewarded treats in his food dish.

One of my Girls was skittish like him but, much easier to handle as she was like that since a baby. Her sister was a shoulder rat and the girls were more into exploring. Lots of nesting and more interested in that. I never had a boy and they are so much bigger lol

Thank you for allowing me to join the forum and for helping me be a better Rat Mom 馃悂

Registered
Try a bonding pouch maybe? I used to lure my wild child out of her cage by putting some stinky treat in the pouch like a cat treat or yogi. After crawling in there on her own for a while and petting her while wearing it eventually she would start coming to my hand to get out of the cage. We're still working on it...but she's a little better every day. She's a roof rat btw, two months old now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Try a bonding pouch maybe? I used to lure my wild child out of her cage by putting some stinky treat in the pouch like a cat treat or yogi. After crawling in there on her own for a while and petting her while wearing it eventually she would start coming to my hand to get out of the cage. We're still working on it...but she's a little better every day. She's a roof rat btw, two months old now.
I actually was thinking of doing that! It worked for my hedgehog (he has since passed away) and glad, to hear that method works also. I could probably carry him with me while I watch some Tv or something!

Also, has anyone have opinions on leash training a rat? My mom actually wants him to be able to hangout to get some fresh air. Maybe the bonding pouch would be a better option for that too?

Registered
I've not tried the leash but have taken my girl for car rides and shopping while wearing the pouch. People just think you're wearing a purse weird lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I've not tried the leash but have taken my girl for car rides and shopping while wearing the pouch. People just think you're wearing a purse weird lol.
That is good to know!!! I really want to take him on some short fall walks

Registered
I've been pretty successful with leash training. I have one of the adjustable paracord ones I got from a now defunct etsy site. I put the harness on and let the rat run around with it on for 5 minutes several different times. I then add the leash and walk around my apartment. I mainly use it when I want them to be on my shoulder at the pet store. As for trust training, I use malt paste on my fingers and then on the palm of my hand. They get used to you doing that. It's like a vitamin paste for ferrets. I also use it with a clicker to train them to do tricks. I click and then let them lick a small amount off my finger. Then, once they know the click is a reward, I have them follow my finger to do whatever trick I'm trying to train (spins are the easiest).

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I've been pretty successful with leash training. I have one of the adjustable paracord ones I got from a now defunct etsy site. I put the harness on and let the rat run around with it on for 5 minutes several different times. I then add the leash and walk around my apartment. I mainly use it when I want them to be on my shoulder at the pet store. As for trust training, I use malt paste on my fingers and then on the palm of my hand. They get used to you doing that. It's like a vitamin paste for ferrets. I also use it with a clicker to train them to do tricks. I click and then let them lick a small amount off my finger. Then, once they know the click is a reward, I have them follow my finger to do whatever trick I'm trying to train (spins are the easiest).
I was looking at some Youtube videos usibg the malt paste and was going to ask that next. Thank you for your advice, i would use the leash for when he is on my shoulder too!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
My next question about the leash...is there a design or style of leash to stay away from?

I also, found him a vet and taking him in for an appointment soon 馃帀

Registered
I totally agree with the advice given so far with trust training. A bonding pouch or any other way to get yourself within close proximity to your rat like a hoodie, a bathroom, a tub, or bed, is a great way to tame and consistently bond with your rat, I personally spend 5 minuets with my rats on my bed every day just giving treats and doing tricks with them before putting them on the floor and letting them run around. During the taming process its also a great idea to teach tricks since it forces the rat to pay attention to you instead of its surroundings or its feelings of fear. I'd just like to add that you should give some time for your rat to calm down in the middle of taming sessions, this will keep the rat from getting overwhelmed and also give you time to watch your rats body language to see how he's doing. Good luck!

I love hearing updates, and feel free to ask any questions or voice concerns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts