Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I found this site searching for online communities pertaining to rats.
My husband and I have recently brought home a pair of male rats last Friday.
A year ago we had a pair of female rats for approx. 2 1/2 yrs that eventually fell victims to the dreaded mammary tumors late in their lives.
When we had first received our girls I was not aware that spaying could of reduced the incidence of these kinds of tumors. That bit of knowledge probably would of saved us a lot of heart ache and pain. Usually, I am pretty good at researching, but that bit of vital knowledge slipped passed me until it was already too late.
We were able to get our girls quite socialized and tame despite their rocky start at the local pet store. This time around we decided to opt. for boy ratties. I know that the boys can have their own set of idiosyncrasies. We wanted calmer snuggly rats, and our boys are already showing us tons of love and affection!

I am looking forward to being apart of a community that seems to have much love passion for our often misunderstood furry (& hairless) friends.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Rattie Community. I'm sorry to hear about your sweet girls. My husband and I lost our first Rattie back in 2002, he was such a sweet and funny boy. We haven't had any other ratties since then, but we've recently decided that we would like to get us a pair of boys soon and I've been getting caught up on lots of Rattie researh and I'm in the process of building a Rattie home before we put our names on the waiting list of a local breeder I came across...I'm so excited =)

Hope you love it here as much as I do...Happy Holidays

Bren

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice to know there's other Los Angeles folks on here. Welcome. :D

spoongirl said:
When we had first received our girls I was not aware that spaying could of reduced the incidence of these kinds of tumors. That bit of knowledge probably would of saved us a lot of heart ache and pain. Usually, I am pretty good at researching, but that bit of vital knowledge slipped passed me until it was already too late.
I seem to recall there being some debate about this in one of the recent threads, but I couldn't seem to locate it. I'll poke around some more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Bren,
Thanx, we had to take a break after our girls past. It just got too lonely here after awhile without having ratties rustling about. Hopefully, you will not have to wait to long!

Macabri, Nice to meet another rattie friend here in SoCal! Yeah I've read a bit about the mamm. tumors, and some of the info/opinions I came across conflict.
Also, it did not help that my girls came from the pets store with unknown origins..

·
Registered
261 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome, can't wait to see pics of your new boys!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your girls but they are still in your hearts. There is no better way to celebrate their lives than welcoming new ratties into your life! Congrats! Welcome to the forums :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts