Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to give my rats a more variety of fruits. They really enjoy frozen fruit for some weird reason as opposed to the fresh. I don't know why this is, but I want to give them more frozen fruits as well as fresh and was wondering if the following are okay:

Pineapple
Mango
Melon
Cantaloupe
Watermelon

What are some others that you give that you could suggest?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
This depends on if they are male or female. Female rats can have all of those things, males shouldnt have citrus or mango (i think pinapple is fairly high in d-limoene too). I would limit there fruit intake to 2 times a week max and not give them too much as whilst its good for them in many ways its also high in sugar so too much will cause issues long term. Instead why not try some veg, i find mine quite like frozen veg too, things like kale, sweet peppers, carrots, tomato etc go down very well. You still need to watch the overall amount but tis more balanced generally.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hardly give them fruit to be honest. They like frozen strawberries that are cut up from time to time.

I give them cucumber and carrot everyday for breakfast. A few times a week I sprinkle chia seeds and flax seeds on top. Is this good?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If you want to scare yourself look at the percentage of sugar in shredies. over here your talking around the 25% mark. Your better off with rice crispies or similar

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Sorry should have said that chai and flax are great for them as long add they aren't getting loads. a sprinkle sounds perfect

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shreddies facts:

(For 1 cup):

Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 200mg (8%)
Carbohydrate 45g (15%)
Fibre 6g (24%)
Sugars 9g
Protein 6g

And the rest is vitamins, calcium, iron etc.

I don't think they were too bad. Tell me what you think :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry should have said that chai and flax are great for them as long add they aren't getting loads. a sprinkle sounds perfect
Is 2-3 times a week too much? I forgot to mention I also mix their food with coconut oil at least once a week (it's the organic one that you can buy in a huge container from costco)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
That's about 15% sugar. Not as bad as most bean based cereals though higher sugar than I'd feed. i tend to aim for 5% or lower unless it's fruit.

I'm pretty stingy with my guys treats though. they only get treats that are beneficial to them at the time of life. so high protien treats for oldies, oldie treats for old people etc.

That's probably a little much extra oil in there diet if your feeding them a balanced mix already. If cut it down to once a week for the seeds and keep the coconut oil there but keep it to a small amount, a teaspoon between 2 or less

1 - 12 of 12 Posts