Rat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Shannon, I live in Reno, NV and have been breeding fancy rats and mice for over 17 years now. I currenty have 40 adult ratties and 50 mice. If anyone has any questions about anything about rats please don't hesitate to ask. I love to help and learn new things. Thank you and hello to all and I'm glad I found this forum :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hello & welcome

I'm not a breeder but I have had rats on & off for 25 yrs now.

Again welcome, I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

Julia

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You were found to be a troll and feeder breeder on Goosemoose and banned.. Apparently, you're from a forum called Kingsnake and felt the need to rile up rat owners.

I hope you're not going to start trouble here, too. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was clearly a joke. As you know some rat people can get a little rediculous. No I am not trying to cause trouble. The "know it alls" on these forums, don't know about this one yet, are the ones that cause trouble. I have tons a very useful advise. You can see my posts on other rodent forums. Sorry if I offened anyone. The KS monitor forum people are a humurous bunch, we love to joke. That would rather talk herps then rats anyway.

·
Registered
236 Posts
FreedomDove, I know exactly what you mean. I used to own snakes. I'm still on Reptile Rooms even though I gave my last corn snake to my cousin a few weeks ago. They all love to joke about feeding rodents to their herps. But if you're into herps, you usually see rats and mice differently then from people who are hardcore into rodents. I used to actually be afraid of rats and mice up until recently, just before I got my rats. My older bro had his own colony of rats a couple years ago, and when I got my snakes, he hated me for feeding rats/mice to them. Though I understand it, that's just life. Everything/one has to eat, right? I love snakes, but I do love my rats now and see them differently then when I had snakes :) The only reason I gave up my snakes was because my newest one only ate live. I tried it once, and I couldn't handle it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My goodness that is rather offensive! I guess to each his own though. *shrugs*

Anywho welcome to the forums I hope that all goes well. How do you keep up with that many ratties and mice? I have 13 ratties (soon to be 17 or more due to rescues i will be fostering) And I can never find the time I would liek with them LoL meaning more than four hours a day with each of them in groups LoL.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Okay if these 40 rats and 50 mice are pet only, then take pics of your setup and prove it.

Cuz this is your sig on Kingsnake, and I don't see that many PET mice or rats listed. :roll:

(btw, don't pop into RatsRule Chat and throw a link out there and not expect people to follow it back)

Shannon in Reno
1.0 savannah monitor (Pombe-means "beer" in Swahili)
2.4 dogs
1.0 cat
5.32 rats
6.44 mice
7.50 chickens
1.2 beardies
0.1 black rat snake
~500 hissers
1 giant millipede
0.1 Chissel tooth kangaroo rat
1.1 rabbits
1.0 wonderful husband

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe it's just my [and hundreds of other people's] sense of humors that are lacking, but when I see a post on a Snake forum pointing directly to a Pet Rat forum, saying 'We should all go over there and tell them we'll feed their precious pets to our snakes!' I just find it a little offensive. I don't go trolling through snake forums just to start things, which according to Goosemoose you were doing. Also, when you came into Goosemoose's chat, and said to pass the link to the Kingsnake forum onto a GM member [who was asking honest questions about your breeding practices because she's also a breeder], you said "It wasn't me that posted it!"

Also, she breeds pet store rats and mice as feeders, guys. Not as pets only, but to feed live. She crams them into aquariums, spends time with them as she sees fit, and has no real interest in them as the pets the majority of us see them as. In the post on Kingsnake [which apparently has now been deleted], she said she only tracks their breeding in so far as 'she gets bored with it otherwise' if she can't get cool new 'morphs'. She also claims her rats and mice have no respiratory problems, no temperament problems, etc.. I'd really like to know how she figured that one if she uses them for feed. Kinda hard to tell if you feed them prior to natural causes.

While it's everyone own choice as to whether they feed live or not, I don't see any point in starting anything with those of us that see rats solely as pets. As per the information she so graciously shared in Goosemoose, she really has no idea what's considered 'okay' and what's plain cruelty.

·
Registered
798 Posts
There are MUCH more humane ways to feed snakes and reptiles than feeding live animals to them, most people just don't take the time to figure them out.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
that is very true renay but unfortunately it is really hard to get a snake to eat frozen food. snakes are hunters and while I hate that they eat rats it is part of the food chain. my brother has a snake that he tried to feed frozen but she would not eat it. The only thing I can say is that if this person is a snake person and just here to start problems then our best bet is to ignore them. If they are here to learn how to take proper care of pet rats then we should teach them. While I love snakes I know that I could never keep one as a pet since I would keep its food as pets. The snake people and the rat people are always going to butt heads on what is right and wrong and I think our best bet is to agree to disagree and let each other alone. We don't go on snake forums preaching to them and they don't come here preaching to us. If this person is here to start problems they will have their fun and go. On the other hand if they are here to learn how to take proper care of their pet rats then we have an obligation to look past the fact that they have snakes to help them give their pet ratties everything they need.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't want to start a fight here, and I do agree with you that, if possible, there are better and safer ways to feed reptiles. But the whole reason I gave up my corn snake was because she absolutely would not take anything but live mice. I tried many times. The one time I finally tried a live mouse, I felt horrible. The whole thing was terrible. Not to mention the mouse had attacked back.
But there will always be the people who find it fascinating to watch a snake or other reptile eat as they would in the wild, and that is just not the way it should be.

·
Registered
798 Posts
... what do you expect for the mouse to do? Just sit there and take death by strangulation quietly? Come on. I'm sorry, I love snakes to, but people who can feed them live animals don't have the same affection towards the "feeder" animals that we do towards our pets, if you can have pet rats and still feed your snake live rats theres something wrong there.. Snakes are great, wonderful animals, I've always been fascinated by them, but you wouldn't see me keeping a snake that eats mice or rats, crickets maybe, live mammals? No way in ****.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Which is why I gave my snake away :) She was awesome in every other way, but I couldn't handle the live thing. I was just trying to say, if your snake will take dead food, that's the way you should go. It's just a bad idea all around to feed live.
Though, the people who feed live would just argue - "How do you think the wild snakes eat?". The difference is, the snake and the rodent are not trapped inside a terrarium together.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
If you really want to get into semantics, about the whole "its natural" thing. The rat has been domesticated for hundreds of years now, we have been breeding them more and more docile and removing all their natural instincts. You release most pet rats and they will succumb to the environment, predators, etc. A snake is not domesticated, it is a captive instead. Natural for it is roaming a territory to find its food, where the prey has a chance at escape.

·
Registered
798 Posts
i agree, it is hardly natural for a snake to not have to hunt, and it is definately not natural that a rat has no chance of survival.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's a pity that most of the crap from Goosemoose is gone, but this person was BANNED for this crap. Apparently cramming rats into aquariums with tank toppers is an appropriate manner of caring for them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
renay said:
i agree, it is hardly natural for a snake to not have to hunt, and it is definately not natural that a rat has no chance of survival.
Well...I hate to say it, but that's kind of the point. If a snake will NOT take anything but live, what would happen to it if the owner did not like that and refused to feed the poor snake? It would die....that's animal cruelty. Everything does have to eat. It's the food chain. It's certainly not the snake's fault for refusing already dead food. It just means it still has all of it's natural instincts. It is not natural for a snake to eat already dead food. For a snake to eat dead food, that means it is somewhat domesticated.
The majority of feeder rodents are not bred to be pets. They are bred for the sole purpose for being food. I don't personally like the fact...but that is life.
I really hope this does not cause anyone on this forum to dislike me. Just because I've owned snakes does not mean I can't differenciate between a pet rodent and the ones reptiles eat. I gave up my snake for the reason she'd only eat live. I understand it, but no thanks. Now I have my cute ratties who I love very much :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.