Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just found this place and am lurking around in case anyone notices and wonders who I am.

I had a little girl for 3 years. She was a hooded rat, and she got a respiratory infection. Antibiotics did not help her, and she slowly died. I was so sad and held her every day while she was dying. Then I went looking for a new rat and could not find one like her, but I found a rat rescue online and the people came to my apartment, asked me a lot of questions, and gave me 3 little boys - 2 Dumbo black berkshire boys and 1 white/gray Hemi. So, I have had them since April.

Then last month, I found a dying kitten and took it to the vet and it got treatment and has been on medication for a month but is going to live - so I have a kitten now - but she doesn't seem to mind the rats. We let them play together (close supervision). They crawl on her and lick her and she purrs and seems to enjoy them.

So, last night I was at a pet store to get some kitty litter, more kitty toys, and some bedding for my boys. My son wanted to look at the pets so I let him while I was looking for the things I need (He's 9 years old). He comes and says, MOM MOM MOM!!! I found a rat that looks just like Charlotte. So I went to see, and he was a lonely little adult rat in a small aquarium beside an aquarium with a lonely little black berkshire rat. I asked the people if he was a boy or a girl and was excited when they said a boy. So, I asked if I could hold him and check to make sure he doesn't have any respiratory infections or anything - - they said I could - - He was SO FRIENDLY. We kept him out for a while just to make sure he seemed ok. Then I told them that he was coming home with us. So, we brought him home - the 3 boys I have wanted to hump him and then lick his ears. He was in love with the white boy and tried to hump him - and there was a lot of squeaking but my boys were NOT hurting him - he was just scared. So, I stood by them for a few hours just to make sure things were ok - - and they are. When I went to bed last night, they were all in a big huddle - snuggling and sleeping - - then the lights went out - - and the party began.

This morning, they are all still happy and friendly, so I now am crazy with 4 boy rats. The lady at that pet shop said that they have been there for a while. I think someone had them and decided rats were not their idea of fun - - and took them to the pet shop ;-( A part of me feels so bad for that black rat I left behind. I'm tempted to go get him - but then I'm really supporting pet stores (like I didn't support them last night! I try to avoid them but was in a hurry and the pet store was just right there on my walk home) Anyway, I could not resist the guy last night - he looked so much like Charlotte. We named him Wilbur.

So anyway - that's my rat introduction. Sorry it's so long. I'm going back to lurking now - I wanna read what you guys are writing - see if you have any great ideas - what you do with your ratties - etc.

We have books on rats and my son has been teaching them tricks. We open the lid to the aquarium every night and they run around and get their own food. Then we pour some in their bowl. They love that!

·
Registered
60 Posts
They are 4 gorgouse boys.

Can I ask though, if you already have a pack/set of rats and want to introduce another, how do you do it? i read you put them in seperate cages right next to each other for a few days then swap them over to scent the other cages before introducing them. Ive never added to a already existing pack but with me getting 3 girlie babys soon I was thinking of adding a 4th a week or later. Do they have to be the same age.

Iheartrats, did you just put your new male in with the others??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow. Oh my freakin' god. Where did you get your Himilayan? Because the rat sitting on my shoulder looks exactly like him in every little detail! They could be twins! Do you have any other pictures of the Himalayan? What is his name?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts