Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, So I'm doing my part and starting my 3 posts. So here it goes..

My name is Hailee and Im honestly pretty new to the rattie world as I just acquired my first ever one late last week. His name is Splinter and he is precious :) I'm super excited to be a part of the rat community!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congratulations on rat parenthood!!! I adopted my first rat, an older boy 4 years ago now. I was super heartbroken when he passed and swore I would never own rats again. Here I am however, 3 years later the proud mom of three young boys. Rats are truly special animals, each is quirky and sweet in his own way. Anyway, welcome to rat ownership (and probably addiction). In the aquarium world MTS (multiple tank syndrome) is common. Not sure if there is an acronym in the rat world but a single rat group never seems to be an option :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome! How are you and Splinter getting along?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Welcome Hailee. Splinter sounds so cute. But, please consider getting another rat and doing proper intros. Rats are extremely social and we can't be with them 24/7. Even 4 hours with only one rat isn't enough. Also rats can get depressed without another rat friend to keep them company.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,

It's been a while but Splinter is getting along well. He's very active and never sits still! I ended up buying a really great cage for him that has 3 levels and is pretty tall so I can get him a friend because the cage that was originally given to me with him was entirely too small for him, much else another rat. Should the new rat be the same size as him, or does it matter?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Hailee and Splinter!
It would be a great idea to get Splinter a friend, rats are so sociable and can get very depressed without a buddy! There is loads of information out there on the web on how to do introductions properly, and some very useful youtube videos. I think the most important thing to remember when introducing two rats is to be super vigilant and to take things slowly :)
Males can sometimes be tricky to introduce, so it will help if you find him a buddy that is smaller and younger than him, this should hopefully mean that he won't challenge Splinter and will get along with him easier. If they're both castrated this would help immensely!
My 2 little girls NEVER sit still unless they have food! I think they tend to slow down when they get older, so make the most of it! ;D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome thanks! I will do some research. I am able to get ahold of some younger babies and would prefer a younger one, I just wasn't sure if it would be okay or if it would cause more issues getting them acquainted. I will have to read up some more! Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Hailee, I am starting my 3 posts as well also being new here. :)

I started my rat owning journey a bit earlier than you though starting this summer instead though I also started with boys. It's been an interesting journey so far, and I have enjoyed having rats, but have already lost 2 out of 3 which was really hard. But am getting some little ones soon myself to keep my one left company who is getting lonely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm still pretty new to rats! I've had hamsters and gerbils etc in the past growing up but rats are completely different! They remind me of teeny dogs!

I am working on getting Splinter a friend, I know he desperately needs one as I am working during most of the day and I know that my attention is not nearly enough. My significant other is being difficult and thinks that it's not a need for him to have a friend and it's simply just because I want another one. :/ ugh. I've tried explaining it to him but he just doesnt understand.

I picked Splinter up from a lady who told me about a month ago when I brought him home that they estimated him at about 1 year or about 1.5 years. He's been alone since they've had him and honestly I had no idea that they aren't supposed to be alone until I began reading up on it. He's used to be being by himself and he doesn't seem depressed in the slightest but I'm sure he'd enjoy rat company.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well at least he has adapted to his solitary life so far. Mine is overall pretty depressed. He gets around some (theres pee and poop as evidence) but he is mostly always just sitting in his hammock during the day. Its pretty sad. Well hopefully you'll be able to convince your significant other then, or at least be able to get another one even if he isnt convinced why. Luckily my husband is okay with me getting more. He said I can have as many as I want to clean up after lol. For me I think id like a group of 4 or 5, but will be having 3 once my new babies are weaned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Hailee! We've just got a pair, but sadly one died. So looking into introducing two babies as have heard that's better. Hope it works out OK.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Anoua,

That's so sad :/ im sorry he's not handling it well. Hopefully when you get a few more he will perk up some and be a lot happier! My boyfriend thinks that I'm trying to run a zoo and I guess in his defense I can understand why he's so weary. But I love animals and can't help it. Lol. I've almost won him over though. We looked at some babies in Petco the other day and he really liked them. So hopefully!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts