Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember that mesh shelving I used to make the Belgie and Sevilla's temporary home in August? Well, with the addition of Lola, I had to come up with something bigger than the Coast Cage, and something cheap, since I'll be getting rid of it in the big graduation/move coming up in a year and a half. So I went back to Target and picked up a second set of shelves (and used a little of the first) for only $14.99, and made this beasty!

Empty, just to give you an idea. And I don't have that top cube anymore, now it's the wire part of the cage that came with Lola.

View 2 empty. The bigger part is 17 inches high, 26 inches wide and 22 inches deep. There's a shelf in the middle that's 22 inches deep and 13 inches wide.

Decorated! The total height with the topper is about 28 inches, so I feel like my girls are getting a pretty big home!

Decorated view 2.

Inside. That's a senior Wodent Wheel, to give you an size comparison. I lined it with two pieces of fleece, clipped onto the edges with the ever handy purse clippies.

View of the top part. There's also now a water sipper up there. The cube was made by yours truly! And so was the pocket hammock, come to think of it...

I think the girls really like it, and each other. As a side note, I was trying to find them while they were sleeping today. I could see Belgie, and Lola....

And then Sevilla appeared, too!

So, how many rats can you fit into an old kleenex box? Three, apparently!

·
Registered
445 Posts
What are those square things called? :eek:
Might check if I can find those around here and make some kind of an cage from them for my boys :D

Your cage looks absolutely superb!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
no no. you can get at least four large boys.

i know you can only see white fur and a bum but trust me, there's four there. they are reachthestars first rats actually, when i was babysitting them while she was away for a while a couple years back.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
how many ratties can you fit in a tissue box?? five...

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is too cute, Crapola. I love the light one (fawn? cream? It's lovely, whatever) in the back, with his mouth open... "Halp, me being skwashed!"

Nenn- the squares are metal mesh that were being advertised as an organizer, from Target. It's in the Organize-it series, wire storage, mesh 6 cubes. Dunno if you have Target in Finland, but I'd bet you could find a cube organizer set somewhere... Good luck! It was a little tricky to make the doors, and I'm not in love with how... DIY, I guess, it looks. But hey, it's only meant to last me another year and a half anyway, and you sure can't beat fifteen bucks for that much space!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hmm, nah we dont have Target here. We do have some magic cube shelf things here.. tho they aint suitable for cage usage for rats... the holes in em are HUGE.
Might go back to the original DIY cage, or the dog crate idea i got from ration.

Tho still, your cage looks great captain!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments- pink is definitely my girls' color! (well, I suppose I may influence their taste a little, seeing as they're color blind and all!)

I redid the latching system, and I really like the cage now! Really easy to open and close, and nice and secure.

Sometimes it's a bit tricky to clean, since I find it hard to reach into that far right corner- I have to basically fit my head in, and then some rat decides it's time to clean my ears! But the nice thing is that if something bothers me, I can just tear the whole thing apart and start again!

But hey, it's cheap, and it works. And the space is nice and big, so I can fit a lot of fun things in there!

Madeittothemoon, if you do decide to go this route (which I don't think I would discourage at this point in my relationship with this cage, it seems pretty good- and did I mention cheap?), pm me and I'll give you any photos or hints you'd like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts