Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, they went from a Rat First Home cage, which I hated, to this beauty. I found it for only fifty bucks at a discount pet store by my mom's house. It has two full levels, and there is usually in a hammock at the top but it's in the washer. I'm working on making some new hammocks to make a little hammock heaven up there. I started litter training them with a litter box on the bottom floor, but they seem to just use the entire bottom floor as a poo place. I guess that's better than nothing, but I'm working on it.
So, here is the cage:

And, of course, I couldn't help but take some pictures of my cuties.

This is Remi, he's still pretty shy.

Here is Gus, I've really made a lot of progress with him. He always comes to the cage door for treats and a pet. Remi still needs work though.

Gus coming over for some love.

Remi still pretty timid.

hehehe I love this picture!!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: New Home!(lots of pics of my babies, I couldn't hel

Awww. I love that last picture! Cute rats. Not a bad cage, either, but is it galvanized metal? Galvanized metal has a reputation for soaking up pee and stinking to high heaven pretty quick. (Haven't had it myself, so don't know from personal experience.) Altogether doesn't look half bad for two ratties. What are the dimensions?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It's 31 inches high, 14 in. deep, and 20 in. wide.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I dont think it is galvanized..... how can I tell?

·
Registered
174 Posts

I'm not really sure how you tell, to be honest. :? I think if it's just bare metal, it's probably galvanized. You might check into getting it powder-coated.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

It looks galvanized. Is there any sort of a coating over the metal? Generally, galvanized does start to stink after awhile, because there's nothing between the wire and urine, and the wire absorbs the urine smell. It'll be fine for awhile (months), but there will probably come a point where it will stink of "Metallic Urine". It will get to the point where it can't be removed from the wire. :\ Many people end up tossing them out.

Size wise, it looks nice for 2! I would probably add some shelving and hammocks (I know you said you've got more!), and it'll be a nice home for now. If you wanted, you could see about getting it powercoated at an auto body shop. They can add it in to a load of items already being powercoated. If you otherwise like the cage, it can be a nice investment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts