Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little 10 week old boy named Olly. He was in a rather small cage during QT, and i built him a new HUGE cage( 28"X28"X25) so he and my 11 month old boy could pair up. I put him in last night, and watched him for a while, he seemed good, so I went to bed. This morning he seems to be scared to death of ME! usually he comes when i call to give him treats, today he runs to the farthest corner from me. He acts as though he is overwhelmed...he stays in the corners and doesn's move to the upper level at all. WHY!!!!!???????!!!!!!! is he acting this way? I want my sweet little cuddlebug back!

Is it just him trying to cope with such a large cage change?
Thanks for the help in advance.
Amber

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Are both boys in that cage now? Or is it just him in the new cage for now?

It's not uncommon for them to be overwhelmed in a new cage. He's probably having a wee freak-out session. Unless you can see any other reason that he's behaving this way (health wise etc) I would give him a couple of days to settle in before worrying. Try to free-range him in somewhere familiar and see how he goes.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is just him for right now. Being the younger of the two, I wanted him to be comfortable with the cage before I introduced my older male. He has been here since he was 6 weeks (so about a month) and was quarentined for the first 3 (he was on Ivermectin for mites from his previous home) but he has had no problems what-so-ever. He has been growing like a weed!

We will do free range time and hope he is acting normal. Do you think it would be better for him if the older male in introduced to the cage with him? They have been intro'ed before and get along well. Maybe having a friend in the cage will help him get accustomed to it?

Thanks for the quick response!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts