Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...

I have 2 baby Rex's that I've just picked up today, they're about 7 weeks old and beautiful.

Again, one is pretty sneezy and the other can sneeze every now and then.

How are sneezes differentiated? He is sneezing pretty frequently but I've been told not to stress and it will be me home sneezing but he can do it every 10 seconds then he won't sneeze for a while but have more sneezing. I'm so stressed and cautious now because a couple of weeks ago I got 2 dumbo rats, one of which was extremely sneezy and was put on meds after 2 days and then on the 5th day I found him dead! So now I worry so much :(

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hi everyone...

I have 2 baby Rex's that I've just picked up today, they're about 7 weeks old and beautiful.

Again, one is pretty sneezy and the other can sneeze every now and then.

How are sneezes differentiated? He is sneezing pretty frequently but I've been told not to stress and it will be me home sneezing but he can do it every 10 seconds then he won't sneeze for a while but have more sneezing. I'm so stressed and cautious now because a couple of weeks ago I got 2 dumbo rats, one of which was extremely sneezy and was put on meds after 2 days and then on the 5th day I found him dead! So now I worry so much :(
If the rats aren't too squirmy, hold their belly up to your ear and listen. You shouldn't be able to hear any clicking or wheezing noises. If you do then I'd search online for some medication to use (home remedies even) or bring them to a vet just for a check up to make sure whatever it is is caught and treated early.

Another thing to watch out for is porphorin staining (it looks like dried up blood) either on the outside of their nose or eyes. If there's a lot, that's a sign of stress or illness.

I give my sneezy rat 2 drops of oregano oil every day, once a day to help with realities issues and to boost her immune system. You can also add the drops into their water bottle also (if it's in a water bottle I'd add maybe 6-8 drops depending on the water bottle size).

I hope that helped!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.