Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I’d introduce myself. My name is Mark and my 11 year old daughter and I both have a rat. Hers is named Raisin and mine is Oreo. They are both dumbos. The pattern on Oreo’s head is where he got his name and Raisin is, well, the color of a raisin. We’ve had our rats for about 6 weeks and bought them from Petco. They said they were about 6 months old at the time. These are the first rats I’ve ever owned but I did a great deal of homework before we bought them so I had a good idea of what we were getting into. So far we’ve had no surprises or disappointments.

My wife absolutely hates them and won’t even touch them. My daughter and I on the other hand love them a great deal. Oreo comes running to the cage door whenever he sees me because he knows I’m a big softie for his cute little face and will take him out every time. Sometimes I think he spends more time outside his cage than in. Oreo is my garage buddy and hangs out on my workbench while I do work on my car. I guess that’s about all for now otherwise I could go on and on about my rats.

BTW- My username, ratcals, is an acronym of my profession: Radar Air Traffic Control And Landing Systems.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Good username! Works incredibly well.

Welcome to the forums! Have you had any problems with Oreo and Raisin, or has it been smooth sailing? We're not massive fans of Petco here, as a lot of times the rats can get ill, are poorly treated etc, but it sounds like your two are lovely!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raisin came with an abscess but my daughter had bonded with him before we noticed. So instead of getting him replaced we kept him and took him to the vet. He's had to go back for an additional one but seems to be okay now.

We'v had no problems with Oreo at all. In fact when it comes time to give the antibiotics to Raisin I have to fight Oreo for the syringe. Raisin hates the medicine. I hate giving it to him but take comfort in knowing it is for his own good.

I'm with you on the Petco thing but my local options were virtually nonexistent. Besides I look at it as a rescue from Petco. I know they're much happier now with us. I only wish I could have taken them all home.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi my name is Austin and i would like to Welcome you to the forum :D

You will find alot of information on these forums. I cant wait to see pics of Oreo and Raisin :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yay! You believe in vets!! I like you already :) welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I woke Oreo up early today to take some pictures of him. I'll get Raisin later. I love this little guy, he's the best. His head looks just like an Oreo, my favorite cookie.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the compliments. Here are a couple of Raisin.

Best buddies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts