Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So, I normally do not agree with buying animals. But, after going to this store again.. I had wanted to check on them. I saw that they sold his bonded buddy.
( Im praying to a good home and not snake food)

I also, dont want to have to justify myself to others about this decision. I am a VA/VT (student) and I recently lost my two rattie girls a few months ago. I am researching some more vets in my area for his first PE.

I noticed his cage was filthy, he is scratching a bunch (possibly mites), and has porphyrin around both eyes. I just couldnt allow him to stay there any longer. With his sneezing and dirty tank.

The first point of issue is my concern for his health.

My next priority is finding him a buddy!! Especially, now that He is showing more signs of being possibly deaf. He has been home less than 24 hours and relaxing. Everything is a new experience for him.

I would love some reassurance on my taming method and would love your advice/tips. Im going to give him the week to adjust. But, spend time sitting outside his cage and talking to him. I put my old pj shirts with my scent on them inside the cage.Which is where he has chosen to sleep.

Im thinking of doing the peanut butter and spoon method. Along with dropping a lot of high rewarded treats in his food dish.

One of my Girls was skittish like him but, much easier to handle as she was like that since a baby. Her sister was a shoulder rat and the girls were more into exploring. Lots of nesting and more interested in that. I never had a boy and they are so much bigger lol

Thank you for allowing me to join the forum and for helping me be a better Rat Mom 馃悂

Registered
Discussion Starter #2

This cutie is so much happier today and even though, I feel terrible about what happened to his buddy. I already see that he is going to be my favorite rattie of all time. He is getting used to me sitting by his cage and has been boggling so much. Romping around and constantly cleaning himself. Slowly getting the hang of going up the ramps to exploring his upper levels. That he is still unsure of.. I might need to make adjustments for him as his eyesight is a bit off.
I am not touching him at this point its only been a full 24 hours of him being home. Second morning here actually 馃コ
Litter training may take a few days to get used too. He does pee in it though just not number two.

He still has no name at this point. I wanted to go with Socrates but, feel like I need to get to know his personality more. Some of my friends suggested Daniel, Solomon, Stewart, Teddy, Rupert, something from LOTR (not Gollum or Boromir or Sam) I have those already lol.

Registered
Awww, what a cutie! Glad you got him out of there and to somewhere better. Giving him your smell sounds great! Plus, PJs to snuggle in. If you do treats on a spoon thin the peanut butter a teeny bit because it can get a little sticky in their throat. Talking to him and getting him used to your voice honestly sounds perfect, especially during food times. If he does have mites dealing with the mites fast also might be a priority, don't want to give those a chance to spread.

Honestly I always played that 'leave them alone' rest time by ear. When I got two of my boys they were very much skittish and needed the time. Later on I adopted a feeder and he was just attention seeking and hands on from the second I met him. I'm also digging the possible name choices you have.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Awww, what a cutie! Glad you got him out of there and to somewhere better. Giving him your smell sounds great! Plus, PJs to snuggle in. If you do treats on a spoon thin the peanut butter a teeny bit because it can get a little sticky in their throat. Talking to him and getting him used to your voice honestly sounds perfect, especially during food times. If he does have mites dealing with the mites fast also might be a priority, don't want to give those a chance to spread.

Honestly I always played that 'leave them alone' rest time by ear. When I got two of my boys they were very much skittish and needed the time. Later on I adopted a feeder and he was just attention seeking and hands on from the second I met him. I'm also digging the possible name choices you have.
Thank you so much! I have been calling around for a vet appointment. Unfortunately, because of covid their hours are shortened and packed until, mid August and well into September. I might bring him in to a VCA that has experience with exotics although. That isnt my first choice. There are awesome private practice vets in my area too.

He is extremely happy this morning and has started to boggle a bit. Running around and playing with toys. He even is starting to get the hang of peeing in his litter box!

I tried the peanut butter on a spoon and he is scared of the spoon/not interested in the Peanut Butter at all.

My previous girls were all about out of cage exploring time and my one girl was much more personable. I think with time he will too. He starts to run to the front of the cage if I sit there 馃グ

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I found a vet馃帀 Now im just waiting to see when they have their next available spot open.

My Mom thinks this rat is really really cute. Which is shocking. My girls really changed her view and heart about rats. Before, that she absolutely hated them. She is also, upset we couldn't save his bonded friend.So, people can change their opinions and views once they understand them.

Im going to be buying malt paste and a clicker. Finding a bonding bag and using advice from everyone on here. To help his training馃憦

I also, noticed a HUGE DIFFERENCE in his energy after switching his foods and not weaning him off. I read so many cases of the Kaytee killing rats. I would rather deal with some stinky poo than a lethargic/depressed beebs.

He is used to my voice and runs to my side of the cage. He is also, a bit more on the blind side and getting used to his surroundings. Still not touching him and going to wait for the malt paste for that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts