Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[copypasta'd first part from a different post in health]
So I got three new rats. 2 standards and a hairless. All three were from a pet store destined to be feeders. I was going to just go with the two standards but I couldn't leave the hairless behind, too cute! Didn't want him to be snake food. [even though I have snakes... too cute to be dinner]
Oldest I'm guessing is about 6 or 7 weeks. The hairless and the other one seem to be around 5 to 6. Largest girl is white with champaign markings and the other looks like a silver or a beige. I can't really tell.
They are on fleece and some care fresh [fleece covers the "warm" side of the temp cage, carefresh is on the other] I've got a heating pad set to low on the warm side, mostly for the hairless. They are on oxbow and lab blocks. They'll start getting more varied diet in a few days.

But is it ok to socialize by taking them out and just holding them in my hands? They don't run from my hand when I go to pick them up, but they don't exactly like being picked up either. Peeing and fear pooping as soon as I hold them. If I keep doing this, talking softly to them, and "grooming" them while keeping them in my hands, will they warm up? I don't really have a place I can let them free roam and they haven't taken any treats yet.
I did this today. Took one of them out, and just had her in my hand. After a few minutes of peeing and pooping everywhere, I put my other hand on top to create a "cave". She started to settle down a little more, groomed herself, but was still shivering. I gently stroked the side of her head/shoulders with my thumb and just talked to her quietly. She started grooming herself again and the shivering stopped a little, but it was still there. I did this for about 15 minutes and then gently put her back in the cage. She didn't run straight for cover, she just sort of walked off.
Is this ok to do? Or will this just make them afraid of being picked up?
Is the self-grooming while in my hands a good sign?

Also, what is the difference between bruxing and chattering? I can't really seem to find a difference in the sound.

·
Registered
624 Posts
That's one way to do it.
Rats have a fear capacity of 20 minutes. (That means they can only feel fear up to 20 minutes and then they forget.)

Maybe try holding her for at least 20, everytime you want to interact with her. You're doing good, talking to her softly and stroking her is good. Skritching behind the ears never hurt either.

What I personally did for my two boys when I got them **I now have 6 lol**.. (I was on vacation for about a week and I would do this for 12+ hours because I don't have a life) I set them on my lap with a blanket so they could sleep in and come out if they wanted to.
I would stroke them in the blanket, put them in my shirt or let them play/sleep on my bed with a blanket so they felt safe and pick them up from time to time.

Trying to get them to take treats from your hand is also a good idea. (I always recommend yogurt because it allows them to get used to your scent, differentiate your fingers from food, they can't run away *they have to stay and eat the yogurt* and it's a form of trust training )

The longer amount of time you spend with your fur children, the quicker you all will be a bonded family.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Also, I mean. There's not really a difference. When they brux they're grinding their teeth, same with chattering. Some also eye boggle (Their eyes will pop in and out of their head.)
You just have to pay attention to their body language, if they're all sleepy and relaxed and chattering.. They're bruxing and are happy. ^_^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts