Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have a new intact male living in the top half of a liberta explorer with a neutered male and elderly male. There is a corner cut out of the plastic tray which allows the cage to used as one if you want. Underneath this gap are bars a little larger than 1/2 inch spacing. In the bottom half of the cage live my girls who havn't shown much interest in my older males but now seem to want to very much be in the top half of the cage, especially when they are on heat. On top of the 1/2 inch bars i duct taped a hexagonal sort of metal mesh that my dad uses for his computers which makes the bar spacing a lot smaller, i then stuck down a plastic sheet over the top of this. My intact male has already managed to tear up the plastic sheet and all five of the girls are currently trying to push the mesh away from beneath.

It's half four in the morning and i'm too afraid to go to sleep in case something happens, i've laid the plastic back down and my male is currently occupied with some treats. I know that there aren't actually any documented cases where rats have bred through bars but knowing my luck with the rats recently, i can just imagine it happening to me!

My male will be neutered very soon, it's just that i want to check he's healthy and allow him to settle in before he has the snip.

I guess i just need some reassurance that i'm not going to end up with five pregnant females or some DIY ideas on keeping these horny creatures away form eachother!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Can you switch the bottom pan (that the girls are on) with the top (the one with the cut out)? The CN works this way, and it makes for a solid surface atop.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately the girls are notorious chewers so their cage tray is just as bad as the boys! :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts