Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum but not to new to rats, I've had 3 groups of them. Currently I have 2 elderly females and an empty cage... but tomorrow is the first day of a new chapter: hairless...

So, I'm adopting a lone hairless I found on Kijiji. I watched his ad for weeks and now I just feel so bad that I can't leave him there. He is being delivered to me by his former owners for $25 tomorrow. I figure that's a fair price for a second chance.

I've set up a vet appointment for him to make sure he's healthy; all going well following that I am planning to socialize him and evaluate his suitability to be introduced to other males of the same age (7 months).

Now here's where it gets interesting, there are 2 younger males in a rescue I volunteer with here that are similar in age that I may adopt if they could live harmoniously. I don't know anything about his history other than that he is a discarded child's plaything... It is my assumption that he has lived alone for his whole life, so if anyone has advice or stories of introducing solitary males to others that would be helpful. I am not really that experienced with introductions with older rats, mainly I have had young rats all at once or introduced them one on one. My thought was that I would try one on one on one and mix it up for like a week and see how that goes..

Thoughts? My first rat was an elderly loner male from the rescue I mentioned earlier who disliked other rats and I am hoping that this isn't the case for the new arrival, but if it is, better he live with me than be forgotten in a basement somewhere by some teenager..

Wow, ramble much? Sorry guys, I guess I am all over the place today.. Excited and all over the place!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a picture of my two elderly ladies :)

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
Awww your girls are super cute!!

My last addition was a male rat who had been on his own for a while. His previous owner got him from a pet store where he was all alone and then she kept him alone for a few months. I had him neutered and then introduced him to my (at the time) 5 girls. Two have since passed but he lives with the remaining 3 now. My intro before that was 2 babies to 3 full grown females and that did not go as smoothly haha.

I think it definitely depends on the personalities of the rats. My boy is extremely laid back and loves everyone and anything. However my current oldest rat is a bit of a bully and would definitely clash with another bully-ish rat.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Firstly welcome! I own a lone male rat (medical reasons) and did a ton of research into science papers about lone rats. I found a paper that may be relevant to your situation. It basically found that male rats kept alone will be less likely to accept new cage mates, however it mostly depends on how long they were with other rats as a pup. There is a lot of socialization learning, body language etc of how to deal with social situations and if he missed out on that he will be offending or unable to understand the other rats. That could cause conflict.. I think its one of those things that you just have to try in a controlled way and see how it turns out. I read another paper that found evidence for handling and environmental stimulation removing the stress response hormones that are related to being kept alone. So give it a shot but if it doesn't work out then focus on handling and environment. Maybe a neuter and being placed with your females could be a third option if all else fails. I would say what ever you decide, intro them on neutral ground that hasn't got a scent because they wont feel as strong of a need to defend it.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind welcome and your advice Amph :)

I've just brought him home and man... he is a sweetie! haha I may not want to share him with other rats! LOL!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amph- I just got naked rat boy yesterday evening, so we're in the process of becoming friends. Tonight he is climbing on me while I'm writing to you but he's not quite calm enough for pics. I did get one on my Instagram yesterday but I don't know how to save it here.. Sigh.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done it! I've made a thread on meet my rat to show the cuteness of Balzac!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts