Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here :D , my name is Lisa, but online I prefer to be called Lilly. I'm 22 years old and I have 2 wonderful rats.

Ruby is the oldest, she is a 1yr. 3 month old broken blue colored female that I got from a local pet store.

Merlin is the male, he is just over 1 yr. old. He is a brown/black hooded.

I'd love to tell more but I have to go :cry: , will try to write more about them later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone, nice to meet all of you :D . Now that I have some more time I can tell you all alittle more about my 2 wonderfull ratties :wink: .

As I stated in my previous post Ruby is the oldest, I purchased her from a local pet store as a 2 month old baby. She was the cutest one there, in fact the owner liked her so much she put Ruby in a special cage out front so more people would see her. I had just lost my rat Buddy and was looking for a new love, I saw Ruby in the window and it was love at first sight.

Merlin was a different story altogether. I live in a very small town, and I do rat education with my local 4-H association, so a lot of people know that I love rats. One frigid January morning last year, I walked out onto my front stoop to let my dog out, and found a box. In the box was a tiny baby rat, barely a month old. He was filthy, covered in fleas, and so skinny I could count every bone in his body :cry: . Slowly the vet and I nursed him back to health, and he's a happy and healthy adult. :D

I look forward to meeting more rat lovers, and hearing all about your beautiful ratties.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey, welcome! I was wondering, were you considering getting Ruby a female buddy and Merlin a male buddy? Rats are very very social and do best with others of their kind =)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love to get buddies for each of them, but the problem is that I live at home with my Mom ( yes I'm 22 yrs. old, I do have a job, but I don't make enough to live on my own), and she hates rats 8O . She barely tolerated Ruby, then when I found Merlin she said that I could keep him but no more rats until these 2 pass away :cry: . So I have to be content with the 2 babies I have. I did put their cages right next to each other, and they get plenty of play time with me, as well as suppervised interaction with each other.

·
Registered
997 Posts
An option is to have them fixed and put them together, no harm in doing that and I've heard of many happy rat households with mixed genders.

I was planning on doing that with my ratties. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree having them fixed may be an option. Please don't let them play even supervised, mating literally takes seconds with these guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll consider fixing them. Guess I should have specified what I meant by supervised play time. They are out on the floor with me and each of them is on a a harness and leash, they can't touch each other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts