Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with them? I bought a jar and am trying it with one of my rats, but was wondering if they are actually a good nutritional supplement.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I was looking at these too and wondering the same thing. Since my rats are almost all over a year old, and my oldest rat has been having some hind leg issues I was thinking about buying either the senior or the joint support vitamins. =P

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
If your rats are on Oxbow, they don't need vitamins. Oxbow (for better or for worse) is a 100% complete food.

A body with too many vitamins is just as bad as one with too little. It's extra work for the body to process.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If your rats are on Oxbow, they don't need vitamins. Oxbow (for better or for worse) is a 100% complete food.

A body with too many vitamins is just as bad as one with too little. It's extra work for the body to process.
That makes sense, thanks! Does the regular Oxbow already offer the joint support vitamins that they are advertising?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Could you put down what's in the vitamins. Some vitamins as suppliments are useful at different times of a rats life. oxbow itself is only complete for a fixed "ideal" rat so it might be a useful suppliment for certain situations

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The three that I was looking at for Pastoolio were these:

Joint Support:
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=8416
Urinary Support:
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=8430
Senior Support:
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=10819

He's getting up there in age and often has some trouble with his back legs. I was looking at the urinary support because I had a rat named Molly once who started to get urinary problems when she was almost two. She would basically pee uncontrollably during free range time, which she was then put on medication for.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Oh these are not really vitamins. These are whole roots/herbs and such. This is more of a holistic/alternative/natural (whatever ya want to call it) treatment for specific things. The one for joint support looks helpful. Unless he actually has urinary issues I'm not sure how that one would help. the joint one already has glucosomine in it. Though the astragalus root is pretty nice. If you are just thinking precautionary for urinary, you could always offer cranberries and dandelion to him mixed perhaps in a little leafy salad?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
He doesn't have a urinary problem, but I've had an elderly rat before who did have a urinary problems. I'm just wondering if I could use it if he were to develop urinary problems. Now that you mention it, cranberries do sound like a more easily available and better option. I'm still wondering about the joint support and the senior support vitamins though. =P

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id go with the joint support one, it's not bad but the senior one isn't as good as some dog senior stuff you can get. Look for something that adds in b vitamins for oldies.

The urinary support one might help as well as meds if he had a uti but otherwise i would leave it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Alrighty, thanks! I'll probably just purchase the joint support one for him at the moment. If he ever develops any urinary problems I might consider purchasing those as well, but I don't want to overdue it. They already have their oxbow regal rat which is meant for adult rats. =P

1 - 10 of 10 Posts