Rat Forum banner

New Pet Ratties

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Forensic 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me on this issue. I recently got two dumbo girl ratties from a pet store that gets rats from qualified breeders (I know this because I found out about it from a friend of mine who got two rats from there, and I drove 1 1/2 hrs there just to reserve a pair). However, since coming home, they've been very nervous and scared. I initially gave them 1 1/2 day to relax before attempting to handle them, but even now, at the slightest sound, one of them will go catatonic with fear while the other will run away and hide. I initially tried the "forced socialization" method I read of online, but I think it only served to further terrify my poor rattie girl (she pooped on me). I've been holding out food on a spoon (babyfood) to them (they didn't like yogies), but it takes almost an hour before they will come out and eat. If I'm lucky, they will sometimes use my fingers as support for getting access to the food, but at the slightest movement, they will scatter. I don't want to handle them too quickly in case I scare them further, but I'm not sure how to go about taming them. I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Pooping on you is very common with young rats, and will likely continue. Despite this, spending time with the rats is the best thing here.

Try sitting next to the cage and talking to them (or read something aloud...) just so they get used to your presence and your voice. Try leaving your hands in the cage and let them get up the gumption to smell you and run over your hands. Take them out and hold them or put them in a hoodie pocket/hood or a pouch and let them hide there until they work up the guts to come out and explore. Call their names and give them treats. Do something every day with them so they get used to you.

It doesn't sound like they were handled much, that makes me wonder as to how reputable the breeder is. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.