Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone im new here ive had my lady rat for about a year now shes a fatty fat fat but yesturday my girlfriend bought a new rat a younger one. they havent seemed to be fighting but my older one keeps grabing the younger one with her mouth and draging her towards her i dont know why and i just want to make sure shes not hurting her cause i would feel awful so if anyone knows what shes doing i would be quite happy Thank you :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, it seems to me that you didn't do much right.

Sorry to be blunt. But anyways.

You should have done a quarantine, but since you've bypassed that stage, we'll continue on to introductions.
I would separate them right now.
You should have a spare cage. If you don't, go get one and then separate them. Put the cages pretty close to each other, so that the rats can get used to each other. After a few days, you can introduce them again. Make sure you do this on neutral territory, like the bath tub. Put in the new rat, so she has the advantage. Then add the old rat, and let them sniff each other. It's also a good idea to dab them with a bit of vanilla so that their scents aren't so obvious.
If they scuffle a bit, don't be worried. If, however, they're fighting to the point of being dangerous, you need to separate them. Make sure you have gloves on in case they try to bite, then spray them with water. Bring them back to their own cages, and try again later.

Once they get along, clean out the old cage thoroughly, so it smells like no one's territory. Change the toys around too. Then add the new rat and let her give the space her smell. After that, you should be able to add the old rat. They should get along fine in a while.

If, however, you've gotten the rare rat that doesn't like others, keep her in her own cage. Handle her enough, and hopefully she'll mellow out with age, enough that you can try introducing them again.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well the rule is no blood no foul. They often will wrestle around a bit figuring out their packing order. It would have been a good idea to quarantine, but since they have already been put together there isn't much point to it. If there are any sever signs of aggression such as puffing up or walking sideways, even hissing, then you you start over with introducing them. I'm pretty sure there is a sticky on the forum that tells you how to do it.
Here:
http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3991.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts