Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently brought home a youngish male rat from a breeder. I wanted to try something new this time and really put effort into finding a rat that was bred from good lines, and will hopefully have minimum health problems. I went through a lot of heartache with rescues and pet store rats and would buy them because I felt bad for them, and spent many dollars at the vet and tears on their poor health which most times led to their death. :(

So I brought home this lil guy, and after a few hours in separate cages and letting my older rat sniff the new one, I tried letting them meet in a neutral place. I was really nervous because my older rat is SUPER dominant and always marks things. However, he was actually extremely nice to the new rat. I was pleasantly surprised! All seemed well, until the younger rat started freaking out whenever the old rat would come near him. Like FREAKING out. Screams louder than any rat noise i have heard in my life. Does anything to get away from him. Bares his teeth. My older rat is very confused, and just kind of sniffs at him like, "dude, what is your deal?" He is also very nervous of me, but is still eating, drinking, coming out to explore, ect.
I have never had this problem with any rats from the pet store. I am discouraged because I really wanted this to go well. Can someone please tell me what is going on? I understand that he may be nervous, but this behavior is borderline bizarre. How can a rat from a breeder who has supposedly been "well handled" and socialized be so scared? Not scared- deathly terrified. I am leaving him in his own cage now, of course. I love my rats more than life itself. Someone, help! Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It's suggested to quarantine your rats for at least two to three weeks before they can share the same airspace. This is more for future reference since now they've met/shared the same airspace: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?39499-Quarantine-Information

I could imagine that your new rat is overwhelmed. You said that after a few hours of him being home you introduced them, when really he should have some time to adjust to his new surroundings. Give him some time to adjust and then you can slowly introduce them. There's information regarding introductions in this thread: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?193945-Introducing-Rats-using-the-Carrier-Method

Also how old is your new one? He might be too small and not big enough to defend himself.

He'll come around just be patient :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
How old is your new little one too? I'll be honest this is one of the reasons I recommend introducing babies in pairs from the same place, its a lot easier on them as they don't go through such a trauma alone. Is there any way you can get a brother to keep him company whilst he goes through quarantine and then introduce them using the carrier method as a pair?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts