Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local pet store today....just to get food and bedding for my 3 standard males.....and I left with a new little boy.....but i cannot for the life of me determine what he is.....he could very well be a double rex....but hes really small so maybe its not just me it might still be too early to tell.....
his wiskers have a slight curl and so does the furr on his lil bum....also looks like hes got some hairless in him....

The pet store I get everything from is small and family owned, very nice ppl that will take in ratlettes from ppl that ended up with babies ended up being unwanted(pending they are healthy)...so they didnt know what the litter was either.....

i love him no matter what he is.....

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant wait till hes ready to join the other guys!....Im such a sucker....It went from 2 rats to 15....back down to 3.....i had to have him....i held all the rats in his litter....some were jumpy....some were female(NOT doing that again anytime soon)...he just sat there and stared at me...rode the whole car ride home under my chin in my scarf....came home and he even took food outta my hand....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Id thought he mighta have been but hes so small im sure he'll change soon....enough so i can tell 4 sure. I had been lookin for a fancy rat since i first got the hooded ones....never came across any that were close enough to drive and pick up i stumbled across this lil guy by accident....i guess i just got lucky.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
He does look double rex to me. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
He looks just like my double rexie - he is cuter than my boy though. I love Fuzzy but he is a little less than cute b/c of all he has been through (he was a rescue surrendered to us and has been very neglected as well as ill)

What is your little guy's name? :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We're gonna call him templeton....he reminds me of a skeevy lil rat ...just like the one from charlottes web....I wasnt planing on adding to the family but i saw the litter and knew that the store hadnt orded them, they carry rats for live feeders, so someone had a litter they didnt want...i coudnt help it. I feel like i saved him for a reason.....he might be cute now....but im sure in time he will become what others might consider homely....hes my lil freak of nature.
its always sad to see neglected animals especially these guys...not a lot of ppl understand how wonderful they really are.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh wow, he looks painfully thin in that picture. And so small/young...

Considering where you live, I'm sure there are tons of rats in shelters and rescues that you could adopt. :/

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was thinking that too....he is very young but he was eating and drinking when he got home, and ill be makin him some eggs this morning for a lil extra boost....hes still on a close watch. The cage hes in has some platforms and one ramp that looked a little steep for him but hes been up and down it all night....he is a little clingy, makes me wonder if he could have stayed with his mother a bit longer....?

·
Registered
11 Posts
aww, he is soooo tiny! Wow, what is a Double Rex? Lol *New to rat breeds* I have seen regular Rexs.. :) Does it mean they are Double the curly? Lol

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Animalhouse said:
aww, he is soooo tiny! Wow, what is a Double Rex? Lol *New to rat breeds* I have seen regular Rexs.. :) Does it mean they are Double the curly? Lol
Twice the rex gene = twice the curly = their hair usually falls out and either stays out or grows back in and falls out again.... :lol:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Isn't he also albino?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Maybe. Not all pink eyed whites (PEW) are albino, I don't think.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh...

·
Registered
55 Posts
No no no no, you're all wrong...
He's cute >.>
We call it a cutisaurous!

By the way, xxpinkfunxx, I don't know if you know, but your avatar/display picture thing is from my favorite anime.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
he is definitely much too young to be weaned but whats done is done.

I would highly suggest you get him some formula & supplement. I've had great success with Esbilac puppy formula & I've heard others say that they use KMR kitten formula. Others mention using the soy baby formula for humans but most often I've heard that the rats didn't really go for the taste.

He is old enough to be eating since babies will start eating right about the time they open their eyes but he really needs the extra nutrients from formula. Another good product to use for weight gain is Nutrical but you have to be careful how much you give to such a little guy. Maybe a drop about the size of a pea.

Good luck & keep us updated.

As for his fur... it will shed several times over the next few weeks. He will most likely go naked & only keep a small amount of fuzz on his face & rump area.

I have some great links about the varieties that are called hairless. There are actually many varieties. Double Rex & "hairless" are just two of the many. Double Rex is often mistaken as hairless since often they lose most if not all their hair. As for determining exactly what kind of naked you have their is only one way to do so & that is by genetic testing. It cannot be determined by visual exam alone. It also would be impossible to give a best guess since you have no idea about the parents, grandparents & so on.

He is a pretty boy & good luck with him. I love my naked rats bunches. There will be a few things you will need to keep in mind about him that differs from the furred boys but right now your focus is to fatten him up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hes got those big red eyes...and b/c of the hair situation hes got goin on...next to the other guys he just looks pink.

He had a meet and greet last night with Shoki...on the arm of the couch..he crawled right under Shokis belly and proceeded to get stepped on...he was clearly looking for a nipple....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts