Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought 3 new rats a few days ago, 1 being a 9 week old Dumbo rat i named Renae. Ever since i got her shes been sneezing for long intervals and isn't as active as the other rats, only at night when no ones around if u watch her secretly shes jumping around playing with the others like theres no tomorrow. I was wondering if she was sneezing due to stress because of her new home and 2 totally strange new play mates as shes constantly burying herself under the bedding (which might i add if artificial and dust free)
shes started eating more regularly and her breathing seems OK but when she does sneeze she seems to squeak as well :*( She sleeps so soundly and her breathing patterns are exactly the same as the other, healthy rats :cry: .
the pet shop i bought her from have a 7 day plan for if a rat falls ill but i just need to convince my mum she is ill (if she is) because I'm really worried about her, please help me
Candy

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Re: New Rat Constantly Sneezing And Hiding Around People...H

#1) I love your rats name ;) and #2) she may have a respiratory infection, you should probably contact a veterinarian in your area, she may also be allergic to the bedding you're using.. you should try changing it. :) good luck!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

You said she has only been home for three days it is likely that she is just nervous and afraid. Sometimes it can take as long as two weeks for a rat to start coing around. Is there and red stuff around her nose or eyes? What bedding are you using? Is she is a quite place in your house? how often are you handling her?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

no red stuff, i'm using natural paper flake bedding thats safe for all animals :D, shes in a quite place and i haven't even attempted handling her yet due to her nervous disposition, i just don't know what the symptoms are for respitory infection?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

renay said:
#1) I love your rats name ;) and #2) she may have a respiratory infection, you should probably contact a veterinarian in your area, she may also be allergic to the bedding you're using.. you should try changing it. :) good luck!
thankies th other 2 are called Rita and Rhianna :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

If there is no red stuff then I would think she is jsut having new home sneezes let her calm down a bit sit by her cage and talk softly to her and just spend time around her. Maybe put an old shirt in the cage that you have worn to bed a few times so she has your scent around her.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

Try listening to her breathing (if you can get that close). If it sounds all right, she may just be adapting to her new home.

If she sounds congested, or isn't eating/drinking properly, she'll need to see a vet.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

It does sound like new home sneezes to me, too, but it wouldn't hurt to have her checked over by a vet, if you can. I've read stories here that seemed to be obvious new home sneezes that turned out to be respiratory problems, so it can't hurt to play it safe.

One thing I would ask... are your other rats pink eyed, too? The reason I ask is because I have one PEW and one dark eyed girl, and the PEW has always been more skittish and easily startled and prone to stress than the dark eyed girl - all rats have poor eye sight, but pink eyed rats really can't see much at all.

The other thing, I realise the bedding you are using is dust free and doesn't have any harmful oils in it, but you might want to try another one in case your rat does have some weird allergy to it. Maybe put some towels down in their cage for a day or two, just to see if that makes a difference?

The only other things I can think of are to make sure there are no strong smelling scents nearby - maybe this particular rat is a little more sensitive than the other two for whatever reason. Make sure they are not in any drafts, around excess dust, anything that could be making them sneeze.

Did you get all three from the same place?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

DonnaK said:
It does sound like new home sneezes to me, too, but it wouldn't hurt to have her checked over by a vet, if you can. I've read stories here that seemed to be obvious new home sneezes that turned out to be respiratory problems, so it can't hurt to play it safe.

One thing I would ask... are your other rats pink eyed, too? The reason I ask is because I have one PEW and one dark eyed girl, and the PEW has always been more skittish and easily startled and prone to stress than the dark eyed girl - all rats have poor eye sight, but pink eyed rats really can't see much at all.

The other thing, I realise the bedding you are using is dust free and doesn't have any harmful oils in it, but you might want to try another one in case your rat does have some weird allergy to it. Maybe put some towels down in their cage for a day or two, just to see if that makes a difference?

The only other things I can think of are to make sure there are no strong smelling scents nearby - maybe this particular rat is a little more sensitive than the other two for whatever reason. Make sure they are not in any drafts, around excess dust, anything that could be making them sneeze.

Did you get all three from the same place?
yes all three came from the same place, thankies for the advice! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

in answer to donna.k's question: yes one of the other ones is pink eyed and decided to take a rather large hunk out of my finger last night (ow!)
i don't think she coul see me properly :*(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Forensic said:
Try listening to her breathing (if you can get that close). If it sounds all right, she may just be adapting to her new home.

If she sounds congested, or isn't eating/drinking properly, she'll need to see a vet.
shes eating and drinking properly, her breathing rate is normal but shes making little coughing and hooting noises?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

I think it might be a good idea to have her checked over by a vet. Some vets will charge the same price for checking over a "litter" of rats, so if you call around a bit you should be able to get a decent price. I think there are too many factors for us to be able to tell you what's up online, without seeing your ratlets :?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

okies! until i can book an appointment (becuase she is so very nervous) we are giving her the space she needs to settle in and are taking her to the vets!
thankies to all of u guys
:D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

That's great! Let us know how she gets on. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts

I read somewhere that they can sneeze because they are nervous,when I first brought Ollie home,he sneezed alot,but he doesn't any more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts