Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i held my rat in the pet store and she was fine, sat in my hand and everything. the guy at the pet store held her too and she was fine. now ive got her home and have had her home for a few hours over 24 hours (they said dont touch her for 24 hours) and every time i open the cage and tryto take her out, she runs to the far corner where I cant reach her. whatdo i do? i want to be able to hold her and i want her to be friendly.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
you'll just have to man up and reach in there. try to scoop her up from bottom with two hands, and not just pluck her from behind though. you'll have to hold her so that she gets used to your smell and such. if you want to offer her treats like fresh fruits and veggies, yogies, etc before you try to grab her, you can do that so that she learns that you are the bringer of yummies.

try wearing a hoodie or something that includes a wonderful place for her to hide, like the pocket or hood. this often makes them feel safe and get acquainted with you without you actually poking her and such.

there are several other posts about handling scared rats in order to socialize them, you can try to search for one or i'll see if i can find a good one. really, you'll just have to give her time, don't give up, and make sure she knows that you are safe and good.
EDIT: while you're browsing our catacombs of threads on this forum for socializations, be sure to check out the biggie topics like: proper nutrition, a proper friend for your rattie, quarantine for the new bugger eventually, a reasonable diet, good bedding/cages, etc. :p

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
did you only get the one rat? do you have another at home? rats are social creatures and crave the company of their own kind, so if you only have one rat, you seriously should consider getting another one. you might be surprised, your fraidy rat might come out of her shell with a little friend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts