Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had samantha for almost 2 months, and the whole time she's been a lone rat but with most of my time at home, she's been able to be free and basically have the run of whatever room (until she found a wire i forgot about...then no more bedroom).
i got a new rat, and did basically the same thing zlioness did (in topic "Khloe, meet Xoe." -dont know hoe to quote/link to other topics) where i introduced them in a neutral area, but then basically threw them together in samantha's cage (with new bedding and everything cleaned out).
samantha is older and bigger than my new rat (i'm trying to decide between tabitha and lucy...and when my bf finds out about the new rat, i'll give him an option to name her). anyway, the newbie is a PEW, so i'll just call her that for now.
samantha would ALWAYS make me feel guilty whenever i'd leave her when i had to go to work or school or anything, so i got her a friend. yesterday she was making me feel guilty that i got another rat. i could tell (because i spend a LOT of time with her) that she went through something like "ooh, someone new!...wait, what's she doing in my cage?...when's she leaving?...let me out of here!!...mommy, dont you love me anymore??...are you going to get rid of me?...well, fine i dont like you either! let me out!..." all over a space of about 2-3 hours. of course i'm assuming these things, but just from how she was acting. could she be jealous of the new rat??
so anyway, now i've had this knot in my stomach all day (and since my bedtime last night-which is probably why i couldnt sleep last night) wondering if i've done the right thing getting samantha a new friend. before i was wondering if i should get her a friend, now i'm wondering how horrible of a person i'd be to buy a rat then take it back to the petstore. or give her away or something.
i know from reading this forum that it's the best thing for samantha to have a friend, but now i dont know!
basically, i just want reassurance that this was the right thing, socially, for samantha, because now i'm having all sorts of doubts about it.
btw, they get along fine. my new girl mostly only plays when samantha is around, and she's more bold around samantha (leaving my shoulder to go to my back or chest!) and now instead of just samantha trying to escape, she has help. samantha is a little more vocal now (bruxing more and making some other noises i havent heard before, but arent squeaks) so i'm assuming she's happier. but as i type this, samantha is laying in my pant leg, and the PEW is laying across the back of my neck. but i'm still worried/ anxious about this being the right thing for sam!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think there were a couple posts earlier about anthropomorphism, how we attribute feelings to our animals that they may or may not (and likely are not) be feeling. We are coming to find that rats are much more intelligent than we thought, but they are still animals. She may be slightly territorial still, since she's had that cage (and you!) all to herself until now. But I'm sure that once she gets completely comfortable with the new addition, she'll be just fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANK YOU!! i was mostly just thinking about this all day and the more i thought about it, the more it seemed like a bad idea. i've never had rats before, and i dont know anyone that i've seen lately who has had rats, so i just wanted someone (who has more than one rat) to reassure me...(yes, i'm kinda needy right now :) ) so once again, thank you very much!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts