Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...I recently got a new little girl rattie, under a year old, and she's very friendly and I've held her and she's crawled all over my lap...but she bit me once really hard when taking a treat from my fingers the other day, and now I went to pet her when she was in a little box/hut in her cage and she reached around and bit me and drew blood again. I understand I'm definitely partially at fault for these, but I just want to nip this right now and make sure she knows it's wrong to bite like that. I've been thinking about using a spray bottle with water and wearing thicker gloves when I feed her treats or pet her in her cage...do these method work, or does anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
If she has vision problems, it's your fault for not being more careful, just be more careful...

If she isn't visually impaired there's no excuse for biting:

Basically, you Immediately shout NO BITING! and bop her with love in your heart so she gets the message that biting is never OK.

Remember this is a small animal... and although the bop should be unpleasant and a bit of a reality call, you don't want to really hurt your rat. Rats really are smart and they learn fast when consequences are paired with behavior.

This is not a normal teaching technique, but biting is serious, it can cause infections and spread disease, it can't ever be permitted with a normal pet rat. Although a rat owner might make exceptions for blind or special rats that can't modify their behavior.... and even then keeping a biting rat as a pet is debatable.

If your rat's problems aren't caused by defect of health and don't go away with a little bop, there's more help available in the immersion thread for aggressive rats.

Best luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.